300RUM problems

pvanwyk

I've been picking up some strange problems with my 300RUM reloads. would appreciate any help. Here are the details:
Foster CO-Ax press
Foster dies (FL sizing die)
Rem brass (twice fired)
220gr SMK bullet
CCI mag primer
Local powder (South African)

I've sorted the cases by uniform case thickness and weight. All cases have been trimmed to uniform thickness, just below max length.

Problem:
The case won't chamber 100%. The case slides forward into the chamber until it seems that the shoulder of the case or neck enters the neck / shoulder part of the chambering then there's trouble. This never happens with new unfired cases.

It seems to me that there is a doughnut effect at the junction between the case body and shoulder. This does not happen with every case, probably 1 in 5 cases. Sometimes this doughnut is not visible to the eye. (it is also quite possible the this may not be the problem and that I'm missing something else).

Can anybody shed some light oin what's happening ? Is it possible on seating the bullet that the bullet is pushing down on the neck thus deforming the shoulder ?

I've been picking up some strange problems with my 300RUM reloads. would appreciate any help. Here are the details:
Foster CO-Ax press
Foster dies (FL sizing die)
Rem brass (twice fired)
220gr SMK bullet
CCI mag primer
Local powder (South African)

I've sorted the cases by uniform case thickness and weight. All cases have been trimmed to uniform thickness, just below max length.

Problem:
The case won't chamber 100%. The case slides forward into the chamber until it seems that the shoulder of the case or neck enters the neck / shoulder part of the chambering then there's trouble. This never happens with new unfired cases.

It seems to me that there is a doughnut effect at the junction between the case body and shoulder. This does not happen with every case, probably 1 in 5 cases. Sometimes this doughnut is not visible to the eye. (it is also quite possible the this may not be the problem and that I'm missing something else).

Can anybody shed some light oin what's happening ? Is it possible on seating the bullet that the bullet is pushing down on the neck thus deforming the shoulder ?

Probably your problem, unless your sizing die is dirty and doing the same thing. Is it a new die? Did you clean it? What kind of lube are you using? Do they ALL chamber before seating a bullet? Do you have a sizing ball on the decapping pin?

AJ

A couple of questions:

You said the do-nut is at the junction of the case body and shoulder. Normally a do-nut is on the inside of the case and is at the junction of the shoulder and neck
3D-308-doughnut2.jpg

and obstructs the passage of a bullet below that point on a fired case. Is this the do-nut you are talking about? If not, can you post a pic? I'd like to see one at the case body/shoulder junction.

Second question would be how are you setting up your dies? i.e. are you threading them in till they hit the shell holder, a little further or a little less?

thanks for the replies. The "doughnut" is between the shoulder and case body on the outside (from what I have seen) and not in the traditional sense when neck trimming. Will post a pic later. (have not cut the necks)

the setup of the dies is a good point. I have recently got a gauge to measure the set back of the shoulder but have not yet loaded ammo with the gauge. I had previously setup the dies by screwing in the body to the shell plate and then a touch further in.

Will check if the die is dirty but that wouldn't expalin that only 1 in about every 5 is giving a problem. using Imperial sizing wax (?) and do have the sizing ball in.

If your seating die is adjusted too deep into the press (bottom of the die bumps the shell holder or is too close to it), you may be accidently crimping the case mouth just a bit. If so, this "can" cause a slight bulge outward of the case right at the point where the neck begins to taper outward to become the shoulder.

Could be something else, but this is worth a look.

Jim

Double check to make sure you don't have the expander ball adjusted to high. The bottom of the expander ball should be closely in line with the hole in the side of the die (per directions).

Try taking the expander out and size, see if you get the same problem.

the setup of the dies is a good point. I have recently got a gauge to measure the set back of the shoulder but have not yet loaded ammo with the gauge. I had previously setup the dies by screwing in the body to the shell plate and then a touch further in.

My guess is you are sizing the shoulder down too far and creating a small microscopic ridge that you are seeing as the donut. Had this happen to me once. Mftr directions are designed to be lawyer proof and not conducive the max accuracy.

Back the die off 1/8 inch and start back down sizing until they will just chamber. Also use a bump guage to measure, virgin, once fired and 3x fired. Normally by 3x, the brass has flowed to chamber dimensions.

BH

Seating die is not adjusted properly. Assuming that your using a standard bullet seating/crimp die. If you have the die to far down, upon seating the bullet the die trys to crimp the case mouth. Sierra matchkings don't have a cannalure for crimping and the result is the brass gets pushed back, bulging the shoulder.

Easy fix! Back off 1/8 of a turn on the die.

Been there and done that! I accidentally got a few 270win cases mixed in with a whole bunch of 30-06 brass. With the elliptical expander on the die I never noticed the fact that I was necking up to 30cal. Never did trim the brass so when I went to seat bullets the "longer 270win" cases bulged big time at the shoulder.

I just did something very similar on another caliber. Just like has been mentioned, turned out I had the seating die screwed in too far.

I reset the die by first backing the die out so far there was no chance the cartridge mouth would touch the crimp shoulder inside the die.

I put a prepared case in the press and ran the ram all the way up.

Slowly screw the die into the press, you will definitely feel when the crimping shoulder in the die contacts the cartridge mouth.

Back the die off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and set the lock ring.

Adjust your bullet seating depth as required.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.