3006- re chamber ?????Your vote??

OK so the way I understand it is that you don't handload now correct? So then you have to look at what is available now in factory ammo and beings that you have an '06 length action you may look into the new Ruger caliber's that utilize the 06' length action. The 375 Ruger gives you the same performance fron a 20" barrel as the 375 H&H gives you from a 24" barrel and was designed for the '06 length action or if you must you could try the 35 whelen as mention by EDD or the 9.3 x 62 another excellent game cartridge and all are factory loaded. I would suggest how ever that you seriously give reloading a hard thought as that will open you up to the shooting world and you can taylor your loads to shoot in a given rifle and in most cases way better accuracy than any factory loaded ammo you can buy along with cutting the cost and the fun of making your own loads. Remember speed is nice but accuracy kills! Just my two cents though!

:D

My next 2 barrels are going to be in 6.5x55 and 338-06. And I may do the AI on the 338-06. I think a couple manf still make 338-06 ammo so both of those should be doable for you.

The 6.5x55 is just about the perfect blend of performance and barrel life. It fits well on a long action so you can handle those long 130 and 140 grain bullets. For practice and anything mule deer or smaller this would be about the ultimate cartridge IMO.

The 338-06 is also about the perfect blend of performance and recoil management in a carry weight rifle. With 210-225 grain bullets it would topple anything on this continent out close to a half mile. Very accurate and very easy to develop loads for.

I understand the "never sell a gun" concept but another guy brought up a good point about selling this one and getting some reloading equipment. There is a whole new world of accuracy just waiting for you to explore!

last summer savage was polling people to see what they thought about doing the .338-06. There was a lot of folks that said they wanted one, and rumor has it that they are seriously thinking in that direction. If they do this one, loaded ammunition will be on the shelves, and remington and the others will then chamber their stuff for them. Weatherby was said to seriously considering this chamber in the rifles as well I might add. Just a great round.
gary

Where do you buy 338-06 or 338-06AI ammo?

A Square sells loaded ammo right now, but it's a super easy round to build. I'm going to build one off a MK. V. Weatherby that's chambered in 30-06. Mine will probably be the standard case with a 24" barrel from Pacnor.
gary

Weatherby used to chamber the 338-06 A square in their MarkV action but dropped it after a couple of years! I shoot the 338-06 AI but I hand load and the person with the question doesn't so many of the calibers that could be aren't cause of this situation! Again I would lean towards the 35 Whelan or the 375 Ruger but that is just me !

35 Whelen Improved! I have a Whelen on a M700 CDL and it is a sweetheart. It runs darn close to my 338WM and does it with less powder. Great cartridge that Improving would make it just that much better. Scotty

Oh, just reread you don't load your own, so just the Whelen as is.. Scotty

the 338-06 really does intrigue me. I really like the 225gr nosler partition or the 210 tipped TSX, good gun for elk and big black bears.............now that would be awesome.

So far the 2 that in in the lead for me 338-06 and the 6.5 X 284

the 338-06 really does intrigue me. I really like the 225gr nosler partition or the 210 tipped TSX, good gun for elk and big black bears.............now that would be awesome.

So far the 2 that in in the lead for me 338-06 and the 6.5 X 284
Check out the Swift 210 grain bullet too for the 338-06. Great BC and a good reputation on game.

Looking at what you have and that you have an elk hunt booked I would do an elk rifle. Do either the 338 Gibbs or 338-06 Improved. The Gibbs is a little faster but I doubt the elk will know the difference. I enjoy both of mine. I get near 338 winchester velocities with my 338 Gibbs. Either of these are serious elk cartridges better than what you have listed. Warning though, I doubt you will hunt with your other rifles very much if you do one of these. I have built guns for 40 years and these two are two of the best for all around hunting that I know of that are easy to shoot. They will kill an elk at 1000 yards if needed for such but are great 800 yard and in rifles.

Scott, you are right about the 210 scirroccos. They are excellent big game bullets with a great BC.

The 338-06 will be a great addition to your safe. You have most of the bases covered already, I hadn't seen this thread before and was going to recommend the 375 Ruger, as you don't have anything on that end of the spectrum. Besides, you could use a 375 Ruger in Africa for dangerous game when you win the lottery :D

Keep us posted on your build.

AJ

AJ your right but I have a blazer R8 with a 300 win mag and 6.5 X 55 barrel and think I will add the 375 to that, I want a nice rifle for elk and black bear and really think the 338-06 AI will be the way to go.

24 or 26"???

AJ your right but I have a blazer R8 with a 300 win mag and 6.5 X 55 barrel and think I will add the 375 to that, I want a nice rifle for elk and black bear and really think the 338-06 AI will be the way to go.

24 or 26"???

I didn't notice the Blaser in the list. You are correct, a 375 on that platform would be perfect for Africa or even the big bears up North. I might have missed it, did the 338-06 AI get discussed?

AJ

it did with lots of favor, just wondering if I can go with 24" barrel, Iam thinking since it is a non magnum and is just the 3006 necked up Iam thinking a 24 or 25" barrel at most, fluted, 650 @ mmuzzle

it did with lots of favor, just wondering if I can go with 24" barrel, Iam thinking since it is a non magnum and is just the 3006 necked up Iam thinking a 24 or 25" barrel at most, fluted, 650 @ mmuzzle

I can run some Quickload simulations for you if you'd like. Let me know the details you'd like to look at (barrel length, which bullet). I'll get you some info to work from.

I compared the 24" and 25" barrels for the 225 and 250 gr Nosler Accubonds. Only 20fps difference between the barrel lengths. Both are very efficient and burn 99+% of the powders (H4350).

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.