300 wsm powder issues

Also as a word of caution because "I once heard" DO NOT THINK THAT IMR 4831 AND H4831 OR H4831SC ALL HAVE INTERCHANGEABLE LOAD DATA. THEY DO NOT. THE IMR FORMULA AND THE HOGDON FORMULAS ARE DIFFERENT AND THEIR LOAD DATA CAN NOT BE INTERCHANGED. IT'S A RECIPE FOR DISASTER.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have been using H4831SC for 10 years in my Savage Model 12 BVSS in 300 WSM using 185-215 grain vld's from Swampworks, Hornady and Berger. Additionally in the past year and a half I have real world experience with case differences in velocity spread of 50-60 fps. Every brand of brass varied in velocity from every other brand by anywhere from 20 to 60 fps. This is why, IMHO, to effectively shoot long range you must use the same brand of brass. In some instances it may even require the same lots of brass. I am not at that point, yet. It comes down to greatest ROI of my time and my desired end result. For me it's sub 1 MOA at 1K.

Also as a word of caution because "I once heard" DO NOT THINK THAT IMR 4831 AND H4831 OR H4831SC ALL HAVE INTERCHANGEABLE LOAD DATA. THEY DO NOT. THE IMR FORMULA AND THE HOGDON FORMULAS ARE DIFFERENT AND THEIR LOAD DATA CAN NOT BE INTERCHANGED. IT'S A RECIPE FOR DISASTER.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have been using H4831SC for 10 years in my Savage Model 12 BVSS in 300 WSM using 185-215 grain vld's from Swampworks, Hornady and Berger. Additionally in the past year and a half I have real world experience with case differences in velocity spread of 50-60 fps. Every brand of brass varied in velocity from every other brand by anywhere from 20 to 60 fps. This is why, IMHO, to effectively shoot long range you must use the same brand of brass. In some instances it may even require the same lots of brass. I am not at that point, yet. It comes down to greatest ROI of my time and my desired end result. For me it's sub 1 MOA at 1K.
What is the difference in 4831 and 4831sc? Agreed everything should be the exact same every time, I only shoot Winchester brass. Wife says I'm ocd with it but told her it has to be exactly the same every shot

the 4831 is a longer stick powder were the 4831sc is a much shorter stick powder it makes it much easier to meter and fits the case better

What is the difference in 4831 and 4831sc? Agreed everything should be the exact same every time, I only shoot Winchester brass. Wife says I'm ocd with it but told her it has to be exactly the same every shot

Yeah I got away from the Winchester brass, it was by far the worst as far as quality and consistency, 100 round count never been fired. It was also 50 fps slower than Nosler or Norma brass same load, powder primer, bullet seating, sizing, same weather, same rifle and all annealed and cleaned at the same time. Was quite an eye opener. The nickel plated Winchester was only 25 fps slower than the Nosler / Norma. I also tested Federal, and older Winchester brass. Nosler and Norma were within 5 fps of each and had the highest velocities and had the 2nd lowest ES. I made the move to get away from the nickel plated as most of those cases had 10 reloads and the original factory. Although they have shown no signs fo failure. Nosler and Norma I think, as I read somewhere, are made by the same company.

Last edited:
Re17 and H4350 have been good in my 300wsm with 178eldx. I switched from Win to Hornady brass and had to reduce the charge 1.5grains because the Hornady brass is thicker. Only load 61gr of re17 and get 2950 fps out of a 23" ABolt and no pressure.

I'm just getting into 300 WSM and have loads of 63 gr RL16 under 180gr Scirocco II seated .050 off lands. There is room to seat deeper if needed to get the Scirocco to group. Havent shot it yet but anticipate good things from load development.

I use 58.5 gr RL16 under 150 Accubonds effectively in my Steyr .30-06 w/WLRM primers to ignite 58.5 gr for 3023 fps. RL16 seems to live up to its claims of temperature insensitivity but also seems to need a magnum primer in my 23.6" austrian barrel to produce 0.77 moa groups at .020 off lands. Hoping to tighten it up at .015 off lands.

Forgot to mention that I'm crimping the .30-06 load ~ 11-12 degrees rotation in hornady die to burn all the powder. I think RL16 needs encouragement to complete the burn. But when you burn all of it, she works. H4350 is much easier but way more temp sensitive in the south.

So my wife has a 300wsm and been trying to hand load it. It's been quite a few years since we have shot but in the past we have tried handloading it and cant get the minimum powder charge in case without a drop tube over 30". We have tried multiple powders and every one of them we have to have a huge drop tube to get the minimum charge in and none of the books mention this. I have tried Barnes, Sierra, Hornady books, each with the respective bullets. I did find a guy on a forum that has been reloading his that posted the load, gonna give that a shot as well. Has anyone else had this problem? I should add that I thought maybe my scale was off so I tried a buddy's as well. Thanks in advance
In my 300wsm's I use 71.5grains of Ramshot Hunter and Nosler Accubond 150 grain, with Winchester brass and Federal Gold Metal magnum Match primers. I won't get into seating depth just suffice to say not jammed into the lands.... Obviously work up your own load paying attention to pressure!!! But this is my pet load.

So my wife has a 300wsm and been trying to hand load it. It's been quite a few years since we have shot but in the past we have tried handloading it and cant get the minimum powder charge in case without a drop tube over 30". We have tried multiple powders and every one of them we have to have a huge drop tube to get the minimum charge in and none of the books mention this. I have tried Barnes, Sierra, Hornady books, each with the respective bullets. I did find a guy on a forum that has been reloading his that posted the load, gonna give that a shot as well. Has anyone else had this problem? I should add that I thought maybe my scale was off so I tried a buddy's as well. Thanks in advance
I'm with Cohunt on this one, something is way off here i use winchester brass Federal gold magnum primers RL17 powder 61.7g and hornady 178g ELDM bullets in a browning xbolt this gives me some really good results down range (less than 1moa consistanly) I've adjusted the coal to the maximum length my mag will hold I don't have a chrono so i can't give you my muzzle velocity but should be around 2950fps. I would stick with the heavier bullets though the 300wsm doesn't seem to like the 150g I fed it. Good luck and practice practice practice

Attachments

• 20200522_115417_resized.jpg
    20200522_115417_resized.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 77
In my 300wsm's I use 71.5grains of Ramshot Hunter and Nosler Accubond 150 grain, with Winchester brass and Federal Gold Metal magnum Match primers. I won't get into seating depth just suffice to say not jammed into the lands.... Obviously work up your own load paying attention to pressure!!! But this is my pet load.

Sorry, request above was re; this quote...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.