.300 WSM Load info

HDTony

I'm going to start loading a .300 WSM for a freind to get his groups better at range. Looking for some load data. I think I will start off with Barnes trip shock 180 gr. and would lke to use H1000 powder in front of Fed 215 primers.

Looking for a start load and max load so I can do 1/4 gr steps to tune in the rifle for best group.

Also what # shell holder (RCBS) for the case. I have a ton so told him not to buy one until I check to see if I have it.

Rifle is a stock Weatherby Vangard. Very nice shooter. He was able to take a cow elk @ 550 yds on his first hunt with it factory Fed ammo. One shot and down. His eyes were the size of paper plates when I told him the yrds and where to hold.

Thanks
Tony
gun)

I don't think you will find data for H1000 in the 300WSM as it is too slow for that cartridge. Some guys are posting good results with Reloder17 and I have had decent performance with IMR4350 behind 165 grain Hornady bullets.

I can't help with the RCBS shell holder, but can say a few thing about H1000 in a 300 WSM. Hodgdon does not show any data for H1000 and I think the major reason is that H1000 is too slow for the best results in the 300 WSM case. I have used IMR-7828 to load Berger 190 grains bullets so H1000 would probably work also, but you will get much better results with a powder in the burn range of H4350 or IMR-4350. I have used N550 with excellent results and RL-19 is also very good. IMR-4831 will give you more velocity than most and very good accuracy also.

A great number of powder will give you outstanding results in a 300WSM.

RCBS shell holder #43

My accuracy load ...
Winchester brass
WLRP
62.7 grains H-4350 ( work up to this )
185 grain Berger VLD
MV= 2995 ft/sec

I have no experiance with H-1000 . I do still want to try RL_17 though.

Mike

Thanks for the reply's I'm up to any powders and was looking @ maybe useing berger bullets. There just not off the shelf stuff like barnes are here in Phoenix. Anybody have any data on the RL powders as far as a start - max load?
Thanks
Tony

In my Win 70 in 300 WSM I have had the best luck with

Reloder 22 with 200gr to 210gr bullets
H4350 with 175 to 185 gr bullets
Reloader 17 with 150 to 155gr bullets
IMR 4831 with 165 to 168gr bullets

using WLRM primers and WW brass

My factory savage wsm likes the 168 SMKs loaded with Reloader 17. I am well under the pressure signs and getting 3100fps. Also useing Federal 210M primers. Absolutely love this caliber and load. Oh 67 grains is the powder charge.

I have had some pretty good luck with my 300 WSM - Remington 700 SPS. I am loading the 180gr Sierra GameKing bullets, using the Remington Large Rifle Magnum primers - 9-1/2M. Power is the Reloder 17 - 66 grains. At this loading, there is still no signs of over pressure. My Crony says the muzzle velocity is right at 3009 fps. My acurracy at 100 yards is a tight 3/4" using a bi-pod. gun)

Hi

Since you are using the Barnes 180gn TTSX or TSX my pet load for 2 300wsm's was 69.5gn of RE19. Its a maximum load so work up a few gains under say from 68. (Barnes Manual)

No issue using standard primers such as CCI and this is what I use all the time now as per Alliant data. I cant see any difference from the magnum ones in the short case.

What are you hunting with the Barnes? I've given up on them and so have a few of my buddies. We now use Hornady Interbond, Interlocks s and SST's.
Of course my load in those is 68gn of re19 behind the 180gn pill and is the go to everything load in numerous 300wsm's I have relaoded for.

You will find Alliant powder gives you lot quicker speeds than Hogdons powder. I use to use adi 2209 which is rebadges as the Hogdon equivalent.

I have tried Re17 but nbot in the 300wsm.. Initail impressions of Re17 ... groups not as good as with re19... Maybe its just my rifle..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.