300 WSM conversion

gvjm

I'm toying around with converting my Remington 700 308 over to a 300 WSM. Besides changing the barrel, what about the bolt face? I know you can open it up or an I better off just buying a new bolt? And then there's the magazine, I'm not sure the 308 magazine box will be long enough. Wyatt extended box magazine and floor plate? I'm already running a Knoxx Axiom recoil reducing stock. There's always just trading for a new rifle but I believe a custom barrel will probably shoot better. I have my eye on a E.R. Shaw 24" with the helical functional spiral fluting. Thoughts?

Yep, you are going to have to do something with that bolt one way or the other. Also, to get the best out of your chamber if you plan on shooting bullets that may be sensitive to seating depth then you definitely need an extended box. I recommend a center feed for smooth as butter feeding. As for a barrel, there are many options, but it is very difficult to beat a Bartlein in about a 3B contour.

Utilize a bainey 3b box, that will give you almost 3.2" room for the wsm. With 215 Bergers seated just above neck shoulder junction in neck, I'm at 3.16" to touch with a 225 freebore. Saami reamers really handicap this cartridge, but a custom build can help a lot with proper throating. Pick the bullet you want to run, fi d out what it takes to seat the bearing surface just above the neck/shoulder junction and have the Smith throat it for that, as long it fits in the magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts