300 WSM Build

Tyman

Going to buy a Kelby Atlas Lite action- If I purchase a short action, do I have enough COL with a Watts extended mag box? or should I just build it on a long action. Trying to build a light pack hunting rifle. Thanks in advance for any help!

How long is the inside of the magazine? IMO, the 300WSM is ideal with 180-200gr bullets which seat well to about 3.0" OAL.

If you are wanting monos, going lighter, say 180 max is an option.

Be careful, there are older match reamers setup for 1000yd but and 210's seated to about 3.15" out there.

For reference, SAAMI is 2.83", I believe.

How long is the inside of the magazine? IMO, the 300WSM is ideal with 180-200gr bullets which seat well to about 3.0" OAL.

Be careful, there are older match reamers setup for 1000yd but and 210's seated to about 3.15" out there.

If my math is correct, the 181 Hammer Hunter would take a little over 3".

I have a Wyatt's box on a Defiance SA on my 300WSM and I can barely get a round to fit when set at .30 OTL. Obviously, I can seat shorter but the .030 is the sweet spot for the Berger 180 grain projectile. Also, the Center feed will provide the longer OAL over the Stagger feed.

So, either go with a XM or Long action in my opinion for any WSM round.

Good luck

Thanks for the info man I really appreciate the help.

I have a Wyatt's box on a Defiance SA on my 300WSM and I can barely get a round to fit when set at .30 OTL. Obviously, I can seat shorter but the .030 is the sweet spot for the Berger 180 grain projectile. Also, the Center feed will provide the longer OAL over the Stagger feed.

Good luck
Looks like I am going to be building off a long or medium action lol. Thanks for the info! Really new to all of this and the rabbit holes are deep

Another vote for a long action. No need to hamstring yourself right off the bat. IMO

This barrel has a .215FB and this is a Berger 215hhybrid .028 off touch.
IMG-2834.jpg

Good luck
THIS!