300 WSM Build Help

stbbo

I am building a 300 wsm on a factory remmy LA. I have been researching and still have a few questions and know I will get some sound advice here. What Wyatt's Box should I get to run the 300 wsm with the LA? Also I have the chance to get the kwik klip conversion. I would prefer a detachable mag. Which direction should I go?

I am building a 300 wsm on a factory remmy LA. I have been researching and still have a few questions and know I will get some sound advice here. What Wyatt's Box should I get to run the 300 wsm with the LA? Also I have the chance to get the kwik klip conversion. I would prefer a detachable mag. Which direction should I go?
I built my 7 Max on A 700 LA with a Quik Klip and it works flawlessly with just a slight spreading of the feed lips. The Max is very similar to the wsm. My experience says the DBM like a Quik Klip is easier to make smooth than a Wyatts type when using the short mags.

The 300wsm will fit in the standard remington mag box. Make sure it's the Rum box with the window cutouts. You won't make your 300wsm too long for the box. The center feed magazines do feed the short mags nicer but a shortmag on a long action feeds better than a short action. Either route you take will work great.
Shep

Will either of y'all verify that this is the correct model from cabelas.

!

Will either of y'all verify that this is the correct model from cabelas.

!
Yes. It says '06 or wm size but thats why I mentioned spreading the feed lips about .020" to fit the wsm case. It will only hold 2 rounds with the flush fit and wsm size.

Thanks everyone that kwik klip was a winner. What is the overall length y'all have run on your long action builds? I was wanting to run the 208 Amax and keep the bullet seated just a hair above the neck-shoulder junction. Overall length is currently at 3.2" but it is wayyyyy to long to chamber. What throat did y'all have your smith open it up to so y'all could run the longer pills. Thanks in advance.

If you do a dummy round up the way you like a good smith will match the throat for you. Plus or minus .005 is not hard to hit.
Shep

Thanks. thats what I figured I just wasn't sure if there was an ideal length that other members had done. The wsm on a long action isn't a new idea, but it's my first time building one like this.

I did a 300wsm on a 700 long action and put the 208 and 210s just above the neck shoulder junction. It shoots great. I don't know the freebore length I just made the dummy fit and it was good. I will check the coal with 210 Berger vlds for you if you want that number.
Shep

Thanks again Shep. My 208 Amax I measured this morning and it was 3.2 as well. Now have you tried any pills in the 168-180 range and if so how did they shoot with that kind of Jump? Thank you.

I only shoot the bigger high bc bullets. But most bullets will have no problem jumping. Just have to find the spot it likes to jump from.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.