300 wsm and Retumbo

JYuke

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried retumbo in a 300 wsm...

Seems a bit too slow but I have a crap load of retumbo I need to burn.

If so how did it work for you .

Regards

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried retumbo in a 300 wsm...

Seems a bit too slow but I have a crap load of retumbo I need to burn.

If so how did it work for you .

Regards

It's way too slow. You'd never get decent velocities. IMR4350 is usually the starting point for the 300WSM's.

I figured as much, I have had good luck with H-380 and RL-22 just came into Lbs of retumbo for a good price! Oh will not go to waste I have lots of powder burners for it.. RUMs and 30-378s

I'm not to sure that I would discount it so quickly; it works great in my 7WSM (and in the 7 Rem Mag of a shooting friend at my range - also shoots the Berger 180s - he is the one who turned me onto it).

My current main powder is H1000 for the 7WSM - using 180 Bergers. But Retumbo gives higher velocities than the H1000 in my 28" tube at abot teh same pressures.

JeffVN

using quickload it would forecast a load with 72.0 retumbo under a 180 ballistic tip you would have a fairly compressed load and it would only do 44k pressure and 2822 fps. It would be my thinking that you might not even get a good casemouth seal at that pressure and it would be pretty dirty burning for that slow of a powder. I would also watch closely for a potential hang fire??

Well that is interesting and a pretty low velocity!

I was questioning myself with a 175 vld and retumbo... just does not make sence to me I was hoping and my thoughts a pipe dream,,, as i think the velocity would be up and down too much.

I may load 5 to try it...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts