300 RUM and Retumbo

Wachsmann

300 RUM and Retumbo,
Yesterday I went to the range to do some load testing. I started at 89 and worked up to 92 grains of retumbo. OAL length is mag length something like 3.68 I think. But its mag length. The 92 grain load with a 210 VLD berg was shooting 3044, 3040, 3035. Standard Rem sendaro 26 inch barrel. So does this sound right for volicity or is it a bit slow. I seen other publish remarks of over 3100 to 3200. Berg manual states 3035 so I think I'm on par for the rifle but would like some opinions. Also will the 215's be worth it to give me a much more volicity due to bearing surface of the bullets . Another thing is there seems to be no pressure issues yet. bolt lift is the same as the lighter loads and the primers all look the same. So I might be able to push a little more powder.

I think you are right in there.

I'm on H1000 for my 30" RUM+210 VLD at 3063. Saving the Retumbo for the 338/300 RUM (Edge)

Forget 'the other guys'. Since you are right on book fps, if it were me, I'd stay with that and fine tune the accuracy node.

I used JBM - Calculations - Trajectory to check the ballistics. The difference between 3063 and 3163 (a fps I reached at the expense of 5grns more powder) was trivial.

Each and every rifle is slightly different and each prefers a different load rate. There is no generic balance, just various ballistically tested loads that will get you within the suggested parameters without over pressuring your firearm (and causing those small holes on each side of your receiver to emit fire....:D).

There seems to be a fixation with having the ultimate chronographed speed but, external ballistics involves so much more than the fastest pill know to man.

That pill screaming down that tube is busy destroying the overall life of the firearm. I'm one to look at overall trajectories balanced with longevity. Guns ain't cheap and getting more expensive and your face is irreplaceable (I think).:rolleyes:

Yep....All different. I shoot 91g Retumbo with 208 A-Max and Fed 215 mag primer (was using 91.5 but as somertime temps here creap into the mid 80's my bolt said to drop it down a bit) I was out today with the crono. and my ave. was 3050 out of a 27" select match tube.gun):)

Just did a workup for a friend's Savage chambered in 308. I loaded everything in half grain increments with Sierra 168 grain SGK's in Federal Brass with H335 and appropriate primers, 10 off the lands. F/L resized in RCBS competition dies, VLD necked, pockets reamed, flash holes deburred cut to Sammi specs.

I didn't chromo any but it was interesting that the rifle preferred a lower charge over a higher one, in fact, the bullet yaw increased as the charge went up.

He's anal about one hole groups (I'm not). One hole groups are fine on paper but in real life, a kill zone is a kill zone. It consistently grouped at less than a half inch at 100 yards on every increment but the yaw increased.

Now, benchrest comp is a different matter but not real life everyday hunting scenarios.

I am getting 2950 with 91g retumbo and berger 230's using a factory sfll. I hope berger releases some bullets soon, getting pretty low around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.