300 WSM, 338 WinMag

I think I have been "lured" away from the 270 for longer ranges. I have posted in here before with some good feedback, but my lack of expirience with game animals and hearing some of it made me concerned that the 270 wasn't enough. Looking at the energy beyond 400 yds makes me weary of shooting that far. If you all have taken shots out to 600 and beyond, then I will save my money, use the 270 for awhile, and then buy the dream rifle when I am ready and have figured out exactly what I want.

I have a load with 135 gr SMK that is shooting well. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot that deer, but what about elk, moose? Is a match bullet too soft?

I am trying to work a load with 150 gr Bergers also, just need the time to get out and shoot it. Is a Berger too soft or does it break up too fast before it gets deep penetration?

I definitely want a hard hitter, but more than that, I want accuracy and predictability. That is why I have started with these two.

BTW I am also new to reloading as well, so forgive my ???. Marine Corps has taught the field craft, now I want to become the Mountain Man...

Don't get me wrong the 270 is not a long range hammer and a lot depends on elevation you hunt at but it will do a good job if you use it right and load it correctly, if your going to extend your range you need to do a little better than just gaining a couple hundred yards over your current chambering. Going from a 270 to a 30-06 is not going to do anything huge for ya, going to a 338 RUM now your going to step it up!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.