300 winmag help

My best luck has come with the SMK 200gr. and H1000. I have yet to find a better combo for this particular rifle. I ALWAYS seat at the lands or no more than .001" away. This alone, has greatly improved my accuracy. Haven't had much luck with any bullet < than 190grs. Good luck.

TH

[ 04-09-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

Sorry for any confusion but I have changed names.Nightshifts can really effect your memory.I ended up with a second profile by mistake.Canadian buck won't be showing up anymore.I just did up some more loads,this time closer to the lans.If I am not touching I will be real close.I am still trying the 180gr BTSP.I had some H450 here and did'nt realize it has a closer burn rate to RL22,which seems to be a universal accurate powder in the 300 winmag.I also trimmed each case for consistancy,drill press/brass brushed the necks.I have put together a front rest/rear bag bench setup as well.I have been using a accurite magtamer rest,which I thought would stop all rifle movement or my movement.I think the bench setup and a past pad will be more consistant.Keep the info coming guys I am a sponge for loading/shooting information that will improve my performance.

[ 04-09-2004: Message edited by: ruttinbuck ]

[ 04-10-2004: Message edited by: ruttinbuck ]

Well guys I have loaded more bullets for my 300 winmag and been to the range for another session.After more research and talking to other longer range shooters.I have tried the nosler 180gr accubond in front of IMR 7828.I started at 73.5gr and went to 75.5gr.Brass is second loaded, trimmed to same length winchester.Accuracy is at 1.4"{3 shot} with 75gr-75.5gr.Both groups had two shots at .75" and 1 shot .75" away.Nosler manual says MV is 2960-3000fps. I figured before I go away from the 180gr bullet I would try these new accubonds.Remember I was going to try 165gr bullets because of the 1-11 twist rate.I am using a frontbag/rest,rearbag setup.I have been using fed215 primers in all charges up to now and I am thinking of trying fed210m next.I have read more than once that the 210m will shrink groups shot with the 215.I am not at max charge yet with the 7828 but I am at 103% density and think the primer change is next.Any input on past history regarding the primer change or other would be appreciated.I really want to get to a load that will shoot 1 MOA,so I can use my Tikka for longer range hunting this fall.
I have'nt bedded the rifle yet but with the barrel free floating I thought I could get a decent load developed first.

[ 04-24-2004: Message edited by: ruttinbuck ]

Well Caugey you were right.Loaded up some 165gr hornady BTSP with IMR 4350 and WLR primers.I have 3 in .5" at 69.5 gr,and 2 in the same hole and 1 close at 70.5gr.
70.5 gr in max in the old hornady book I have{3110fps}.I am loading more at 69.5gr,70&70.5gr and will try more soon.The rifle is copper fouling bad at 16-18 shots and the accuracy falls off there.It sure looks like the 165gr is the weight in the 1-11 twist barrel,thanks guys.
I may be JB bore paste treating the barrel to see if I can slow the copper fouling down.As soon as I have a solid group down I will be practicing on gongs and it would be great to shoot more than 16 rounds before stopping for total barrel clean out.Thanks again guys

[ 05-04-2004: Message edited by: ruttinbuck ]

For copper fouling, try a can of "Wipeout. Froggy, a guy I recently met, who is quickly becomming a freind and shooting buddy, recently introduced me to this stuff; he swears by it.

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: W ]

Thanks for the tip.I have discovered wipeout and it is making the chore much easier.Unfortunately you have to leave the foam in for extended periods and that puts the rifle out of service.Also keep it off the wood stock,it tends to attack the lacquer finish.Now if I could just get the number of shots up before I lose the accuracy from the fouling.

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: ruttinbuck ]

I have looked at The David Tubbs product as fire lapping is being considered.I have been in touch with the importer and will be shipping the rifle back to see what they want to do.I don't think a rifle should have to be strip clean to new bore every 16-20 shots to maintain accuracy.I am glad it is May,hopefully i will still be hunting with my baby this fall.
Thanks for the advise guys.RB

I use in my remington 700 is 70 grains of h4350,180 gr hornady sp,cci mag primers. 3000 fps. 3/4" group at 100 yards . Very happy with it on mule deer and elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.