300 wsm 215 berger

I will be delving into this same setup, I have a Tikka getting a 23" hells canyon summit barrel chambered in 300wsm cut with 225 freebore 1:9 twist, all the titanium goodies I could find, bedding into a Mesa altitude stock. Also had a guy weight sort 100pcs Bertram brass within 2gr spread. The rifle should be done this winter. I'll be using rl26. If I can get 2850fps and accuracy I'll be very happy, this rifle should tip the scale around 6.2# or so when complete, be around 8# in the field. Will be used for mountain hunts where shots could go from 25y to as far I'm comfortable with the rifle.

On my long actioned 300wsm with a OAL of 3.194" I use 69grs of R-26 for 2960fps. I just built a 20" on a highly modified sa with a OAL of 3.135" and I got 2762fps with 68.5grs but the barrel hasn't sped up yet. The 26" barrel ran right about 2900-2910 prior to speeding up and settled at 2960fps after. This is with CCI 250's and Winchester brass. The 20" barreled gun shot this group on Monday during the middle of the day with heavy mirage and shifting winds @ 536yds. That was also with a TBAC Ultra 9 suppressor.
300wsm suppressed 2.jpg

I will answer that and Rhian can chime in as well. No you wouldn't be able to spot shots with a hunting weight rifle. I just built one with a 20" barrel and Ultra 9 can that weighs 9lbs 1oz with the scope and it's no where near able to spot shots with 10oz hanging on the end of the barrel. I was pretty disappointing in the lack of recoil reduction offered by the can. In comparison my 9lb 300wm with a carbon barrel shooting 8grs more powder is pretty easy to spot shots with using one of my 5 port Ti Beast brakes.

You might try h4350 too that's what I've been running behind the 215s for several years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.