300 WM COAL with 215 Hybrid.

Ckleeves

Hello everyone, I'm curious what oal you end up with touching the lands with a 215 hybrid in the 300 win mag with a saami spec reamer. I keep finding conflicting info on this. Trying to figure out bottom metal so I can get things ordered for a new build. Thanks in advance!

I would say to forget about SAAMI spec reamer dimensions when considering your bottom metal. If you seat the 215 so the boat tail/bearing surface junction is even with the neck/shoulder junction of the case, you will end up with a base-to-tip OAL very close to 3.70 inches. You would be wise to select your bottom metal accordingly.

Alternatively, if you are willing to seat your bullets deeper or single feed your loaded rounds, bottom metal dimensions would be less important.

I don't have exact length but when I had my SAAMI 300 Win it was around 3.7 and it fit in a standard 700 magazine box(barely).

Mine are 3.730 and are .030 0ff the lands.
Chamber is cut with reamer that had more freebore to allow the bullets to be seated further out.
Its built on a Stiller action and I installed a whyatts extended box into it to allow for this.
Healthy dose of H-1000 and the 215 Bergers are just over 3000 FPS

Thanks guys. Going with a Wyatts extended mag box for sure. I hate having to work around magazine restrictions.

Ok not meaning to hy-jack but I'm getting ready to do this too, at least put the extended box in a stock rem. So my question is which Wyatts box is the extended one for 300 win mag? And what do I do for bottom metal if my rem has the floor plate in it now?

If you are building on a custom action my opinion is you should just use a Wyatt box. It really does not cost much, if any, more. If using a 700 action you will need to have the rear of the receiver relieved for the longer box. The Wyatt box, as stated above, should work with factory bottom metal. I use the MBE3.

Is the Wyatts box a detachable mag design or would it stay in place over the factory floor plate? Sorry I just don't know if the Wyatts is exactly what I thought it was?

It just a magazine box that replaces the factory ADL or BDL magazine box. Not a DBM.

It just a magazine box that replaces the factory ADL or BDL magazine box. Not a DBM.

Ok now I'm on the right page, thankyou.

Now is there any detachable magazine and bottom metal setups that offer extended length or allow you to load cartridge OAL longer than factory rem magazine?

Yes, but I have never been really interested in it so I can not remember specs. Seekins makes DBM that takes CIP length mags. There are probably other options.

Thanks again for the help. I don't know if I want a detachable mag bottom metal setup either. I like having a detachable mag but I don't want it sticking way out the bottom like most do. What would be ideal is like a 3 round extended detachable mag but I haven't found one.

I just finished having a 300 wm built. I am using the Curtis custom bottom metal with there 3 round mags. They don't sit down to far. the internal demisions are 3.630 I believe but I load my 215's at 3.610 to clear the mag with no issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.