300 Win. Mag Head Bolt Retaining Pin

baydog

Hello,
A friend of mine brought his Savage Model 110 - 300 Win.Mag over 3 nights ago and he said "It wasn't like that when I put it in the closet the end of last year" (yea right!) but when he pulled it out for the first time this year the bolt wouldn't open. The first thing I thought was he had a case stuck in it so I drop a cleaning rod down the barrel and measured to make sure there was no live round or empty stuck in the chamber and it wasn't. 3 days later after taking the action out of the stock and taking the trigger and safety apart, I Figured out that the head bolt retaining pin was hitting on the inside. I took a very very small screw driver and could push the pin back into the bolt and got the bolt to open. When I took the bolt out, the head bolt retaining pin fell out of the bolt in 2 pieces. I can't find 1 of these pins between here and Egypt! Anybody got a clue where I can get one at? I take it that this was a problem with the older guns they had, so to make this problem a little better they started making the firing pin smaller so they wouldn't have to drill as big of a whole to make the retaining pin a little stronger??? I think the hole in the older guns was so big that it made the side walls so thin that they would break. But the big problem I have now is that I can't find one.. Any ideals where to get one or any thing I can use to make one?
Thanks
Scotty

Last edited:
They have been out of stock everywhere for quite a while.

When they do come back, get a small hole version and matching firing pin. They are much less prone to breaking.

I sent my spare to someone to save a hunting trip. He promised to send me one back once they become available.

If you are a paid member on Savageshooters, you could post a wanted thread. I'm sure you could get one pretty quick.

Thanks geargrinder. I've been on the phone and the web for quite some time now and I can tell ya they are few to none out there so the websites that said they didn't have them I started calling just to be sure they haven't just got some in or for some reason or another may of have 1. After searching for some time I did a live chat will someone at Brownells and they said they had one of each type but to make a long story short they didn't BUT I call there and talked with a gun tech, **** nice guy, he said they had been out for quite some time and had been on back order just like the other 997 places I checked and he was sorry for the knuckle head that I had did the live chat with (his words not mine) but to try this phone# 605-343-9544 the name of the place is called Jack First Gunshop and the web site is Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota and dang! They had plenty in stock. The factory part# 1099 So if anyone out there is looking for a bolt head retaining pin for a Savage Model 110 early serial number which would be before the year 2000 these people have them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.