Ejector retaining pin problem on Savage

XWrangler

I sure hope someone has a great idea I havn't already tried!
I broke or collapsed an ejector on my Savage 111 LRH (6.5X284)
on a load that was a little too hot. Oh well, my problem is I cant get the retaining pin out of the bolt to replace the ejector and spring. It takes a 1/16th punch and I have broken 6 punches and have not even budged the retaining pin! I soaked the bolt head in Kroil thinking that would help but had no luck there either. I have thought abut drilling it out but worry that if I dont get it perfect on the drill I might cause myself more problems.
Any ideas would sure be appreciated. My deer tag I have waited 10 years to draw starts the 1st of Sept. I need to figure something out fast.
Thanks guys on any ideas.

Had the same problem with a Savage 110 factory single shot, and a hot load. Collapsed the spring and stuck the ejector in the bolt. I tried all the tricks and still could not get it out.

My remedy to the problem...I milled out the old ejector and replaced it with a Remington replacement. Works like a charm!

I'd get one coming from coming from Midway with all the extra parts.

Make sure you're ready for you hunt and mess with the broken one later.

Double check your headspace with the new bolthead just to be safe.

Thanks for the info guys! I already had the new parts from Numrich here but wow what a deal getting the old retaining pin out. Finally built a pin from the base of a 1/16 drill bit and pushed it out with a high pressure ram where I work. Cant believe it was so hard to get out. The problem I have now is when I pulled the old ejector out there was NO spring! Its like it was evaporated. I know that couldn't happen but the old ejector was not in that bad of shape. Been trying all afternoon to get the new spring and new ejector in but its like something is still in the bottom and wont allow it to go in all the way. Tried drilling the hole out but got nothing. Oh well I wont give up yet. Let you know what I finally figure out.
I think I will go with the Remington parts advice next time.
Thanks again guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts