300 win mag build or buy

Yes, Accumark with 6.5-20 Conquest and big Harris. Great rifle but not fun to carry. 80% of the time I was hauling it around in a Ranger Crew but the weight, recoil and cost to own just wore on me.
I suspected as much. That model was simply never intended as a rifle anyone would carry far or in rough country. Those I've handled shot great but taking it to the mountains would be like sheep hunting with a Sendero.

Just not what it was made for.

We are on the same page. That rifle shot under .3 consistently but I had to shoulder it on a couple of relatively short but rough (read: .5-1 mile) very rough terrain, steep, willow laden or blowdowns that RUINED my day.

It was freakin fantastic 20 yds from the Ranger though!

We are on the same page. That rifle shot under .3 consistently but I had to shoulder it on a couple of relatively short but rough (read: .5-1 mile) very rough terrain, steep, willow laden or blowdowns that RUINED my day.

It was freakin fantastic 20 yds from the Ranger though!
I don't doubt that for a minute. One of the reasons I settled on the 24" version of the .375 was so I wouldn't live to hate it carrying it through thick trees and brush or on long hikes on my trips to Africa.

I am however still going to do a long barreled version just to see exactly how far I can stretch the .375 Ruger out running the.250-280gr Peregrine VLR's.

So far I'm loving everything I've done with it and I suspect there's a lot more fun to be had.

Fortunately I'm blessed with a fine collection of rifles and enough of them that having purpose built rifles is no problem for me at all. If I were still a guy with one "deer gun" my choice of options would certainly reflect that.

If I have to make a tough climb or hike to get to the game I can always pick up one of the .260's, STW's, or 300's in a sporter weight and not tax myself too hard.

Hey Sir,
Thank you for the recommendations, I am worried about staying within the budget with a custom build as well. And 1500 is the max I can spend on the rifle.
the rifle won't be used for any kind of match shooting, but I sure do prefer sub Moa rifles.
I took a chance on buying a used gun when I bought the 308 Norma Mag. You never know if they shoot good or if they have been shot out or close to it ! I saw some heavy barreled actions by Howa that were pretty reasonable out of a store I think was in New York, I believe they are good shooters from what I have read ! Look up Howa barreled actions for sale, and if you don't locate the store I will try to find it for you if you would like. They list different weight barrels for each gun. This would be reasonable and still be a new gun that you could break it in the way you want and know what is shot out of it !

Hey Gents,

The wife finally okay'd buying or building a new 300 win mag. It will primarily be used for shooting out to 1500 yards, and elk hunting. So I don't want a feather barrel, nor something to heavy for hunting. Budget is a max of 1500. the scope will be a Steiner t5xi 3x15.

A few things I have looked into are the Christensen arms mesa long range, and the Bergara b14-hmr. I have no experience with Bergara rifles though. My wife will be shooting and hunting with it as well as myself (yes, she handles a 300 wm just fine), so regardless of choice, I am wanting an adjustable cheek well. I am open to other suggestions as well.

What do ya'll suggest/recommend?
Here's the exact setup I have...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

https://swfa.com/seekins-precision-scope-30mm-rings.html

https://swfa.com/egw-hd-picatinny-rail-1-piece-scope-mount-68.html

https://swfa.com/vortex-6-24x50-viper-hs-t-30mm-rifle-scope.html

IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5553.jpeg

Backr : Look up www. brownells.com and type in Howa barreled actions in the search box. This is the site I saw them on, they keep going up in price every year it seems. They also have nice adjustable stocks for those barreled actions. Good luck !

My choice .. Remington 700

1. Remington in the Long Range in blue/black or stainless for about $ 600.00
2 . Remington gen 2 ...about $ 875 .oo but will be flutted and a threaded muzzel 3. Remington Stainless Sendero flutted and around $1,110.00
All will be in good stocks but will need a trigger ...Timney about $ 135.00 and easy to install .
Run the Berger factory ammo in 215 berger and install your scope on a good 20 moa rail . You should be under your $ 1,500.00 budget...1000 yards should be easy if you can do your part .
Good Luck !!!

Another option would be a rem 700 sendero. I've got one in 300 win. And its .5 moa out to 1200 with 215 bergers. That's as far as I've shot it so far.

Another option would be a rem 700 sendero. I've got one in 300 win. And its .5 moa out to 1200 with 215 bergers. That's as far as I've shot it so far.
I love Senderos, have over half dozen of them...Also have two 5R Milspecs...And they ALL shoot under 1/2 MOA. They are the same exact gun, same stock, action, trigger, same everything...Except the barrel. The 5R barrel is a higher quality barrel, IMO. So, if I had my pick over a new Sendero SFII or a 5R Milspec, I'll take the better Schneider 5R-rifled barrel on the 5R Milspec. Factory vs. factory, the 5R barrels seem to be slightly more accurate and consistent (from my experiences), and they clean up faster and better, too. I wish Remington would start using the 5R barrels on all their rifles, including the Senderos and their other lines. It would also help eliminate a lot of the issues Rem has been having lately with accuracy and barrel problems...Thus boosting sales and reputation.

I just bought a Bergara ridge in 300 win mag from a guy on this site. It is super nice with a smooth action like a tikka and a way better trigger than a remington. I haven't been able to shoot it yet. They come threaded so I ordered a muzzlebrake to put on it.

The HMR is a nice rifle I'm sure but at 9.25 lbs for the bare rifle, it's gonna get heavy fast. The Bergara Ridge is 8.1 lbs with a 24" barrel for the 300 win mag.

I'll also chime in on the 700 mil spec-it's 1 of the most accurate rifles I have and is shooting my 212 ELDX at 2954 FPS and under 1/2" groups.

Comes with nice HS precision stock, threaded & fluted barrel-my gunsmith did a $75 trigger job and it's excellent (I'm picky on triggers and he's done the same on 2 other 700's I have-im as pleased with those as I am the timney he put in my 1st 700).

I couldn't be happier with it (and I'm not a "brand guy" as I have numerous other brands-it's just a great rifle).

Hey Gents,

The wife finally okay'd buying or building a new 300 win mag. It will primarily be used for shooting out to 1500 yards, and elk hunting. So I don't want a feather barrel, nor something to heavy for hunting. Budget is a max of 1500. the scope will be a Steiner t5xi 3x15.

A few things I have looked into are the Christensen arms mesa long range, and the Bergara b14-hmr. I have no experience with Bergara rifles though. My wife will be shooting and hunting with it as well as myself (yes, she handles a 300 wm just fine), so regardless of choice, I am wanting an adjustable cheek well. I am open to other suggestions as well.

I have a CA long range Mesa in 28 nosler and I love it couldn't go wrong there

Hey Gents,

For your budget building a rifle is gonna be out. As far as buying there are many really solid rifles on the market that are sub Moa and capable of hitting your must have boxes. Bergara is an amazing rifle mfg and one of my favorites to shoot, but for my long range 300wm I went with a Savage 110 FCP-HS. I went this route because for my needs I didn't want the weight of a chassis rifle and at 9lbs the Savage was acceptable for heft, also it has phenomenal accuracy (.6moa with factory), and I'm a fan of HS Precision stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.