.300 Weatherby Mark V. Mounted a Minox Scope with Burris Tactical Rings and Warne bases. Ran out of adjustment.

hawlejr

New rifle. Took to the range today, and ran out of adjustment. At top elevation, the rifle is shooting a foot low at 50 yards. If you look at a Mark V action, you can see that the front bridge is higher than the rear, and both the bases and the rings are the same thickness front and back. I need to raise the back of the scope by about 0.16 inches ( more than 1/8") by my calculations to give myself some room to play. Since all Mark Vs have this same configuration, how come I have a problem like this? I ordered the correct bases from Warne, but when you have the front mounting point of the bridge noticeably higher than the rear mounting point, the scope is just going to naturally point up relative to the barrel, and therefore the bullets are going to go low. Either the rear scope ring has to be higher than the front, or the rear base has to be thicker to make up for the different height between the front and rear of the action's mounting points.

I have warne bases on my MKV and no problem. Is it possible you switched the front and rear bases?

New rifle. Took to the range today, and ran out of adjustment. At top elevation, the rifle is shooting a foot low at 50 yards. If you look at a Mark V action, you can see that the front bridge is higher than the rear, and both the bases and the rings are the same thickness front and back. I need to raise the back of the scope by about 0.16 inches ( more than 1/8") by my calculations to give myself some room to play. Since all Mark Vs have this same configuration, how come I have a problem like this? I ordered the correct bases from Warne, but when you have the front mounting point of the bridge noticeably higher than the rear mounting point, the scope is just going to naturally point up relative to the barrel, and therefore the bullets are going to go low. Either the rear scope ring has to be higher than the front, or the rear base has to be thicker to make up for the different height between the front and rear of the action's mounting points.

Your first stop is to call Warne to discuss your problem. They will have the answer as long as you can explain the conditions. If not, take pictures and send an email with the photos attached with your observations.

Trying to diagnose this type of problem only creates a lengthy thread where every possible problem is suggested and it never gets fixed. Call Warne and get the right answer the first time.

:)

I figured it out myself. Never knew there was such a thing as a "Standard" Mark V. I figured they were all the same. Different from other Weatherby brands (like the Vanguard, for instance), but all Mark Vs were the same. NOT SO! The "standard" Mark V is a short action version ( I guess used with the .240 Weatherby Mag or maybe the .224 Weatherby), but its bolt has 6 lugs not 9! I post this here, because I bet there are other members who would have thought the "Standard Mark V" was the one that went with the usual Weatherby Magnum cartridges. The Mark V bases I need are for the Weatherby Mark V "Magnum" action, which has a lower back stanchion on the action bridge, and therefore requires a thicker base in the back. For Warne, this is the model number M902/879M. The one for the six lug rifles is M888/875M.

I learned something today. Thank you for sharing and glad you figured it out today.

Cool, ....now the word "Standard" makes more sense. "Standard" cartridges vs the Weatherby "Magnums". I have 3 other Mark Vs in .340, .338-378, and .300-378, and I must have been lucky picking the bases for those as I had no problem. I know I have Warne bases on at least one of them. One of them I've had since 1973, so, at the time, I think I bought Weaver bases for it. Just doing a cursory look at them in the cabinet the other day, I didn't notice the thicker rear base, but I knew it had to be the case, as no scopes have that kind of range of adjustment. Thanks for the info!

i Have Warned bases on a few rifles. For Win M70, it says Inchester M70 Mag, for the Magnums, Wincheter M70 Standard for the non-maggnums. For the Weatherby, it says for Weatherby V Magnum. I do not have non-mag weatherbys.

Cool, ....now the word "Standard" makes more sense. "Standard" cartridges vs the Weatherby "Magnums". I have 3 other Mark Vs in .340, .338-378, and .300-378, and I must have been lucky picking the bases for those as I had no problem. I know I have Warne bases on at least one of them. One of them I've had since 1973, so, at the time, I think I bought Weaver bases for it. Just doing a cursory look at them in the cabinet the other day, I didn't notice the thicker rear base, but I knew it had to be the case, as no scopes have that kind of range of adjustment. Thanks for the info!
If that 338-378 is lefthanded and you want to sell it for a reasonable price, let me know. I already have the 340 and the 378 BEEs. I want something in the middle.

Sorry, it's right handed, and I'm not selling it at this time. Thanks for the offer, though, and I understand your desire. Luckily it's an "Accumark" configuration with a muzzle break which cuts the recoil. It does emit a formidable concussion wave enough to blow the dress up on the guy next to me at the range! :) The noise would make a signal canon blush! thanks again, Jackster