300 weatherby barrel

codyarnold

Im shooting a weatherby vanguard sub moa chambered in a 300 weatherby with a 24" barrel im looking to upgrade my barrel for longer range and was wonder what you guys would recommend

Thanks

I am getting a 300 RUM barreled and using a Broughton 5C 27" Lt Varmint Sporter barrel (non-fluted) with a brake on it. The muzzle will be .750

I would recommend at least a 26" barrel and maybe a 27" or 28" for a little better velocity. If I had gone with a 28" barrel, I would have stepped up one size in contour to .830 Likewise another step in contour for a fluted barrel.

As far as brand of barrel, most of the reputable custom match grade barrel makers make excellent products. The 5C or 5R barrels are supposed to get a little better velocity and and be a little easier to clean.

I like a bull sporter at 28" (slightly different from maker to maker), it is a heavier barrel but not so heavy that you can't pack it. One thing to consider is the inletting of your current rifle, not that it can't be changed, just that it may have to be changed when you jump up in barrel size.
As state earlier, if you are going to upgrade a quality match barrel is the only way to go.

One thing to consider is the inletting of your current rifle, not that it can't be changed, just that it may have to be changed when you jump up in barrel size.

That is a very good point. I already know by experience, that the B&C stock that comes on the Sub MOA Vanguard will not allow heavier than the Broughton Lt Varmint Sporter barrel which has a .700 muzzle (I mis-spoke earlier,, the .750 is what Broughton calls their Med Varmint Sporter barrel).

If you want to use your present stock, you will not be able to go larger than the Broughton Lt Varmint barrel with .700 muzzle.

Broughton Rifle Barrels by North Manufacturing Co., Inc.

That is a very good point. I already know by experience, that the B&C stock that comes on the Sub MOA Vanguard will not allow heavier than the Broughton Lt Varmint Sporter barrel which has a .700 muzzle (I mis-spoke earlier,, the .750 is what Broughton calls their Med Varmint Sporter barrel).

If you want to use your present stock, you will not be able to go larger than the Broughton Lt Varmint barrel with .700 muzzle.

Broughton Rifle Barrels by North Manufacturing Co., Inc.

I plan on putting a Joel Russo stock on it so it doesn't really matter the size of the barrel. I was looking at the shilen or lija barrel on it but not really sure of a maker or type of barrel

i thnk 26 is about the ideal compromise if your going to hunt with it. Funny thing is my vanguard with a 24 is withing 20fps with the same loads as the old 300wby markV i had.

Im shooting a weatherby vanguard sub moa chambered in a 300 weatherby with a 24" barrel im looking to upgrade my barrel for longer range and was wonder what you guys would recommend

Thanks

Krieger used to make the factory barrels for the Mark V Accumarks, but now some other company Krieger owns makes them. Either way, they are both excellent barrels. Krieger cut-rifles their barrels, from what I was told, and the new company button-rifles theirs. But I could be mistaken.

Brux, Braughton, Douglas, Krieger, any of them chambered and installed by a good smith will yield excellent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.