300 wby

Gator26

just got a vanguard in 300 wby mag havent had a chance to shoot a 300 wby mag yet just wondering what some of you guys think of this caliber at its uses for long range elk hunting out to 1000.

I have a 300 Wby. Mag. in a Vanguard (see my signature) and its is a great shooter easy MOA. It has great potential but the likely hood of it going to 1000 yards stock is slim. The 300 wby can do it it just needs to be in the right set-up to do it accuratly.

so if you had my rifle what is the first thing you think should be done to it to get it started on the road to 1000yds.

1st - Start shooting good Sub-MOA at 100 yards.

2nd - Move to 300 yards.

3rd - Move to 600 yards if you rifle can do it. If it can't get a precision stock bed it and maybe replace the barrel.

Then continue 100 yards at a time till you get to 1000 yards.

There is more to shooting 1000 yards then pointing a shooting. Its a lot of practice, precision loading, time twecking your gun, etc. The 300 wby is a good one and the vanguard is a good gun so with some work and effort you can get there.

The 300 wby is about the best you can do off the Howa action. With some modification for feeding and ejection you can put a 338-300 ultramag in there but I don't know that it is worth the trouble because the 300 wby is a very good round.

I got that same gun with the synthetic stock, and for the money I really like it. The only issue i had with it was that narrow butt pad on the stock would hammer ya with the recoil. So the first thing i would recomend is a good muzzle brake. followed up with a good bedding and trigger job. And like rugerm77.270 said Its a lot of practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.