300 WBY

elkhorn400

I have a Winchester model 70, 300WBY cal. That only has a 24 in barrel. I want to replace it with a 26in. Hart or Krieger? Should I go with 300rum or stay with the 300WBY? Can the gun smith eliminate the free bore to a more conventional amount for the 300WBY?

If I had to choose between those 2 I would go Hart. I prefer Lilja though.

As far as caliber...what are you planning to do with it??

Either the 300 wby or RUM are fine calibers, just depends on how much "punch" you want. The 300 wby barrel life is longer, 300 RUM hits harder.

Yes a smith can make your new barrel have as much or little freebore you wish.

A gunsmith certainly can eliminate the freebore. It would take a custom ground reamer for the job. If you remove the Freebore, your chamber pressure will rise. Factory shells may not fit the gun, (bullet will crush into the riflings) cause exsesive pressure build up. You will see an increase in accuracy over a standard chamber. But the whole theory with WBY was to shoot fast, more knock down power. I had a chance to visit with Roy WBY in the late 70's. Seemed the justification was to drive a lighter bullet as fast as you could. Use a heavier bullet and slow it down, your accuracy will be the payback. High BC bullets don't have them little parachutes that come out.

Just my .02 little experience too.

I have 3 300 weatherbys 2 with freebore and 1 without. I had pac-nor put on a 26 inch 12 twist barrel with no freebore throated to a dummy round. After talking to Ed Shilen and then Chris at pac-nor i went without freebore as they both told me it can cut accurate barrel life in half and that i would lose only 100 fps. They were right about the velocity loss. If i were to build another it would be without freebore. http://www.shilen.com/#question3

Just to let you know this is a hunting rifle. I use it for deer, elk and some times antelope. I like a gun that will reach out and touch them.

Unless you intend on shooting a heavy rifle, with heavy bullets, at extreme range, I'd prefer the 300Wby.

While the 300RUM has the edge in case capacity (horsepower) it produces plenty of recoil, consumes more powder and will exhibit shorter throat life.

The 300RUM would also benefit from a longer barrel than 26" when shooting the heavy bullets. Looong barrels can be a real pain in the neck when brought afield.

Just my 2 cents

I'd get a Kreiger or Obermeyer barrel if you want the best. Since Al Hauser retired from Hart in the late 1980's, their barrels haven't been all that good as he made the ones used by highpower competitors to set so many records. Hart does make a good 22 rimfire barrel, though.

John Kreiger improved his cut rifling process in the late '80's and have been a favorite of these shooters since then. Boots Obermeyer has been making great cut rifled barrels for years.

Lilja barrels are so-so; several people on the USA international teams have tried them and had to test several before finding one that shot well. Shilen and Schneider barrels are good, but they last only half as long as an Obermeyer or Kreiger one.

I own the 300 RUM with 26" barrel and that rifle will shoot a 3/4" three shot group at 200 yds. And the recoil isn't bad either. Shot that with 180gr bullets. I'd say go with a RUM set-up.

If you are going to go with a 300 weatherby with out free bore and lose 100fps. Why not just go with a 300 Win mag? Better barrel life and about the same velocity. Just a thought.

Poster: BountyHunter
Subject: Re: 300 WBY

(Go with a smith that has a min SAAMI 300 weatherby reamer with min freebore.)

I take this as it would be a stock reamer? Would this be a more conventional throat when complete? If not then the gun smith would have to have a custom reamer to complete the job? How much for custom reamer to cut the throat to my dummie rounds?

I have a 300wby with no freebore 30" barrel, I get 3200 fps with a 190gr smk and could go a little higher. If i'm not mistaken I think they make 300wby reamers with and without freebore.
Joe

Elkhorn

you can call Dave Kiff at pacific tool and tell him you want a min SAAMI reamer with min freebore (give him the range of bullets you want to shoot) and 1 1/2 degree leade and he can have one to you for $135.

NO this is not standard factory reamer with no freebore, it is slightly tighter all around and not as sloppy fit for the cartridge, but will fit factory cartridges.

Also no 300 Win mag made will touch it either in FPS.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.