300 Varminter Drop chart information (Impressive)

Here some more info on the 300 Varminter regarding barrel life and accuracy at longer ranges.

Regarding barrel life, Richard said the 300 Varminter's barrel life is around 1500 rounds.

Regarding accuracy at the longer ranges. Richard said at 700 yards, a five shot group with he 125grn BT measured 2.5" and a five shot group with the 110grn V-Max measured 3".

I hope this answers some of your questions.

W.

2.5" at 700 yards with the 125 gr BT

3.0" at 700 yards with the 110 gr V-Max

Are these average group sizes for the rifle or are they the best groups that rifle has every fired at this range. There is a big difference between the two.

I have a 7mm AM over in safe that has fired a 1.1" ctc three shot group at 550 yards, that is the best group it has shot. That said, it is not a 1/5 moa rifle.

I also had a 270 AM that put three shots into 0.732" ctc at 500 yards and 3.2" ctc for three shots at 980 yards. Again, these are the best groups the rifle has ever shot, in fact the best I have ever fired with a rifle, any rifle. Does that mean this rifle will average this, hardly.

I do not know what accuracy garantee that your smith offers with the rifles, I prove my rifles to be capable of 1/2 moa and I suspect that will be the same for your smith.

Still, saying that a rifle, once upon a time shot a very tight group really tells nothing of the rounds capabilites or the rifles accuracy as far as consistancy from shot to shot. All it says is that once upon a time it shot a small group.

I would like to know what the best, worst and average group size was for that test session, that would tell us alot more.

Better yet, when you get your rifle, set up at 700 yards, shoot 10, three shot groups and post that information, largest group, smallest group and average group size. That is meaningful accuracy.

I am much more impressed with a rifle that will consistantly shoot even 3/4 moa at 700 yards then a rifle that happened to shoot a group slightly less then 1/2 moa once and much larger for the other groups. Hard to tell what a rifle will do with only one reported group size.

Kind of like saying your rifle is producing 3 fps extreme spreads when you shoot two shots that register 3478 fps and 3481 fps. Really means nothing concerning the consistancy of the rifle or load.

Do not mean to be offensive and hope this was not taken that way, simply commenting that you need more then one or two good groups to call a rifle a sub 1/2 moa rifle..... Not saying it is not but if he was consistantly getting similiar groups, I would suspect you would have been given information telling us that, not getting the BEST group the rifle fired. I see that all the time in gun magazines, what a waste of time and it tells us nothing about the rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, to be honest, I did not ask Richard that question. He just mentioned that is what the rifle shot at those ranges. It was probably the best groups, at that range, with those bullets.

As soon as I get the rifle I will set up a target at 700 yards and try to get an average. I appreciate the comments and do not take offense to any of it. It's a valid and important question. I agree with everything you said regarding accuracy at longer ranges. I hope it groups like that every time. I will let you know.

Thanks for the info.

W.

I am sure it will be a quailty rifle, my comments were just directed to you in the hopes you do not "Expect" these groups all the time. As a custom rifle builder I hear all the time from customers that have factory rifles that are 1/4" rifles at 100 yards. They want me to build them a rifle that will be a 1/4" rifle just like their factory rifle.

My comment to them, bring the rifle to my range, we will set up in ideal conditions, solid rear rest, solid front rest, solid shooting bench, no wind, your taylored loads and ask them to shoot at least 5 three shot groups and we will average them to see what the rifle will do.

I have had around a dozen guys make these claims and actually bring out their rifles to prove their point. I have yet to see one average less then 1/2" for three shots at 100 yards for at least 5 three shot groups. In fact, only two have averaged less then 3/4" groups, most are in the 1" range and there are even some that are in the 1 1/4" range.

I then tell them that my rifles, with taylored loads will have the "potential" to shoot 1/2 moa. I say "potential" because when I test the rifles before they ship, I do the shooting, I load the ammo. I know the rifle is true. On most days, I would call myself a 1/2 moa shooter and I know the ammo is quality because I load it on match grade tooling and I check the ammo before firing for neck run out and bullet run out numbers.

Under these conditions, I have only had one rifle in over 300 that would meet my 1/2 moa requirements for three shots at 100 yards.

When the rifles go home, I have no control on how the rifle is cleaned, how the ammo is loaded and most importantly, how well the customer can shoot.

Anyway, my point is that I just did not want to you expect these very good groups ALL the time. I am not saying you will not see them. I am not saying you will not see them relatively often, that is very likely but just be realistic about it, anything under 1/2 moa at 700 yards is a great group. If a rifle will average 1/2 moa at 700 yards for several groups, that is a very good rifle with very good ammo and being shot by a very good marksman. Again, I am not saying you will not see this, I am sure you will but 1/3, 1/4 and 1/5 moa groups at long range are special things that should be enjoyed but its not smart to expect it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Well said.

I did this with my 3rd set of reloads ever out of a stock Savage 7mm Rem Mag with a Simmons scope on it-(3 shots)
7mmgroup.jpg

But the rifle doesn't shoot that well all the time, or ever again with my reloads.

Nor is my 45-70 a consistent .137 MOA rifle...it would be winning 1000 yard matches with it's 18 inch barrel and bullets with a BC of well less than .3. :D
45-70.jpg

It won't be long now. The rifle was due in Mar. or Apr. We should be getting some range reports soon. C'mon wildcat let us know.

Just got off the phone with Richard, and he said the Rifle will be ready at the middle of May. Richard will post pictures of the Rifle on his web site. I have already sent the Nightforce NXS 8x32x56mm scope to him so he can mount and bore site it. I am looking forward to shooting and seeing how she shoots. I hope she shoots as good as I have been saying she will. I know it's going to be an awesome rig.

I have already started prepping my cases, turning necks to .334, trimming, cleaning flash holes, and uniforming primer pockets. I am using Norma Brass, so I probably don't need to do all that, but I am anal about brass prep.

W.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.