.300 savage?

kc

Do you hunt with a .300 Savage or own one and what is your opinions.
My son was left with my fathers .300, I had a scope instaled it shoots inside 3 inches at 100 yards. In my opinion, its a .3030 bred with a .308.

I received a 300 savage rem M 722 after my great grandfather past away.
It will shoot about 2 in. at 100. Then again who knows how old it is, I used it as a truck gun for a while not afraid to get it a little ruffed up, as when I received it was about as ruffed up as it can get. Its just sitting in the safe now and will probaly retire there permanently.

My father in law has 2 of them. Awsome little cartridge. IMO more efficient then a. 308win. He has one in a 760 pump that shoots 150gr gamekings inside of one inch. they will kill anything in north America.

Dad has been using his old Remington 722 for over 40 years, first with a peep sight and the last 30 he's had a scope on it. Either way, that rifle has more deer to its credit than all the rest of our rifles combined.

Excellent cartidge, and out to 200 yards or so no problem at all with factory ammo. Its biggest downfall has to be the fact that the ammo you can buy all has round noses since the cartridge is often used in lever action rifles. If you handload, or know someone who does, think hard about buying some of those Hornady LeveRevolution bullets to load or else load your own better bullets. That will extend your range nicely.

Have only shot one 300 Savage in a Savage bolt gun, this was many years ago was my Ministers rifle and was checking zero for deer season.
Rifle was a tack driver.

I have a 1936 Mexican mauser action sporter, chambered in 300 Savage. A fine old cartridge that was suitable for my particular action. Rifle shoots a littler better than 1" groups at 100 yards.

Chuck Hawks wrote, "the 300 Savage offers good killing power, adequate trajectory, and relatively mild recoil. At ordinary hunting ranges it is adquate for almost all game for which a .30 (cal) should be used."

It was the 300 Savage cartridge the U.S. military experimented with to come up with the 7.62x51 NATO/308 Win cartridge to replace the 30-06.

The 308 Win parent case is said to be the 300 sav . Although I
have not looked at the case design for the two cartridges in much
depth. Aren't the major differences that the 308 win has a steeper
shoulder angle, longer shoulder, and longer neck. Which would
really make it a whole different case that maybe they used the
300 sav as base design to create the 308 Win? Not sure just
asking.

CA48, Concept of the shorter 300 Savage design that provided ballistics in ballpark of the 30-06 contributed to idea of a shorter cartridge to replace the 30-06. Just paraphrased what others have said.

Yep, 308 ended up having slightly longer case, lesser degree shoulder and a longer neck than 300 Savage. I'd guess the greatest shortcoming of the 300 Savage was lenght of its neck, should have been longer.

That's correct. Th reason the military passed over the savage is because the neck was to short to work with the links that chained the rounds together for machine gun use

OK so why did the 308 Win replace the 30-06. I'm guessing so they
could go to the short action for lighter weight in the field, takes less
materials to produce, longer barrel life while being able to almost match
the 06s ballistics?

CA48, you about summed it up....add smaller cartridge, less weight, soldier could carry more.

By the way, it was U.S. adoption of the 308 Win aka 7.62X51 nato that angered France....contributing to French kicking NATO out their nation. French were pushing NATO to use the 7.5X54 French cartridge, a round they had already adopted.

Actually the .300 Savage came within 1/4" of of being the military's new round but was exceeded by the .308. The mil liked the .300Sav for its short case, light wt, and great accuracy. I think the rim is what did it in. But I'd never underestimate it and itrs a far cry from the weakling 30-30.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.