300 SAUM 180gr Berger on a SA realistic?

stanley52

Well the title pretty much says it all. I want a nice medium power .308 cartridge and the SAUM has about everything I want. Can this cartridge with that projectile be put in a SA at mag length and not cramp powder space too much? It's slightly shorter than the WSM and has a longer neck, both characteristics aid in keeping the projectile out of the case, but is it enough? Or just a pipe dream.

I know bergers come in 175gr and 185gr. Not 180gr like the title says

It looks to me that yes, at 2.825 COAL all the Berger 185s fit nicely without cramping powder space. QL shows ~2850 fps but I'm sure real will be a little faster.

It's a matter of reamer specs...

I run a 300 SAUM in an Armalite AR10 so the mag length is pivotal for me.
I've run 185 VLDs, 190 VLDs and 210 VLDs at mag length with RL17 with excellent results.
The 215s are too long, but I was running the 210s right at 2900 FPS with a 24" barrel.

The only reason I shoot the 190s now, is because the drift difference at 1600 yds was less than .5 MOA. and the 190s were like 4-5 MOA flatter. (don't remember exactly, it's been a few years.)

I developed a load with superformace powder and was able to get 3190fps out of 165 nosler ballistic tips that right on the edge of pressure signs with 66 grn of powder backed off to 64.5grn to eliminate any chances of pressure with 180 grn sst was around 3100fps give or take 30fps

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.