300 rum

mrb1982

Kinda curious what guys are running in their 300 RUM's. Done some searching and seems to be kinda a split. Just curious if guys prefer the 215's or the 230's from Berger. It will be in a Remington BDL. Looks like ballistically the 215 is still a good bullet for a long ways away, without even having to go to the 230 so I guess I am kinda leaning that way right now. This gun will be used for anything from elk on down. Maybe a 1500yd threshold. I am shooting a 7RM Sendero that shoots lights out right now. This gun is just kinda probably gonna be something to play with and pick my brain to see what I can do to make it shoot.

I am gonna be buying the gun from a buddy. Gonna try some descent factory ammo just to see how it shoots. If it can't hold MOA with some descent factory stuff, I might think about just rebarreling and going customized a little. If it shoots good factory, I will probably restock it, new trigger, a brake, and reload.

Anybody with any insight, experience with this gun, let me know. Like I said, used the search and found a lot of answers but curious if anybody has any experience, specifically with a light barreled beast of a caliber like this. Thanks

Opinions may vary but it's been my experience light contour barrels don't like to be driven very hard. You have a light sporter barrel a big case and you're going to push heavy for caliber bullets. I wouldn't be to surprised if your accuracy node comes in at a slower FPS than you'd expect. That may not be the case with yours, only time will tell.

FWIW, if this isn't a rifle you absolutely need right now, I'd be all for hanging a new 28in. 1-10tw Sendero contour aftermarket tube on it with a good quality cut chamber and crown.

It'll probably shoot everything well and, likely, at a higher level of performance.

I don't have a lot of faith in factory barrels and chambers these days. Sometimes you luck out and get a good one but I'll take my chances with a aftermarket barrel any day of the week over a factory barrel and chamber.

FWIW, if this isn't a rifle you absolutely need right now, I'd be all for hanging a new 28in. 1-10tw Sendero contour aftermarket tube on it with a good quality cut chamber and crown.

This is already in the back of my mind. There is a side of me that wants to just shoot a few rounds out of it to see if I like/dislike the recoil. Then put the exact dimension barrel you are speaking of on it.

I don't have a lot of faith in factory barrels and chambers these days. Sometimes you luck out and get a good one but I'll take my chances with a aftermarket barrel any day of the week over a factory barrel and chamber.

In most cases I agree with you on the factory barrels. Then there is my Sendero barrel. The gun shoots under 1/2 MOA out to 700. I guess I consider that good for a factory barrel. With that said, I don't have a ton of faith in this barrel going into it. Might just save the $70 on a box of factory stuff, and just go rebarrel right away. lol

If it were me, I'd spend the $70 shipping it off to my favorite gunsmith and if there was anything left over, maybe spend it on a beer.:D

hahaha I like your ideas. Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc is just 30 miles up the road. That leave a fair amound of beer money. lol

I am thinking a nice 28" barrel and a laminate stock would be beautiful on this thing with a fluted black barrel to go with everything else. Jewel trigger, brake. Life is good. lol

When running the numbers between the 215 and 230gr Berger's in my Shooter App, I can't find any evidence, including wind drift and everything, to talk myself into the 230's.

I know the 230's were really made to shine in a caliber like the 300 RUM specifically, but I just can't seem to make it work running the numbers.

Am I crazy for thinking this or what? I figured out at around 1500yds the 230 would take over, but even then, I am getting pretty similar drops and the wind almost identical, if not identical.

I ran the same comparison about two years ago in my 27" Rum. I could see no advantage at the time to going 230. Then I shot the barrel out and decided to do a full custom long barrel RUM. I designed it for speed and decided to run the 230. I am able to run 3,240fps with no pressure. I look at that extra bullet weight as cheap insurance and it sure won't hurt anything putting that extra mass into an elk. The slightly better B/C of the 230 allows it to pull ahead slightly too. Both are awesome bullets though.

I doubt you could go wrong with either, 215 or 230. What are you putting in for FPS numbers on both?

My dad has one of Kirby's 300AX that shoots the 230 Hybrid Tactical at 3250. I don't think the RUM case will go that fast, unless you redline your loads, but I would think 3050ish in a 28in tube with reasonable pressures would be doable. I suppose FPS would somewhat depend on how it was throated, too.

Ummm, I do have one question, if Chad is only a short stretch of the legs up the road from you, why haven't you already left?! :D And $70, is enough for chips and beer!! lol

I ran the same comparison about two years ago in my 27" Rum. I could see no advantage at the time to going 230. Then I shot the barrel out and decided to do a full custom long barrel RUM. I designed it for speed and decided to run the 230. I am able to run 3,240fps with no pressure. I look at that extra bullet weight as cheap insurance and it sure won't hurt anything putting that extra mass into an elk. The slightly better B/C of the 230 allows it to pull ahead slightly too. Both are awesome bullets though.

WOW! That's cookin for a 230 in a 300 RUM with only a 27in barrel.

I am using 2900 for the 230 and 3050 for the 215 on my calculations. I am guessing that is all the better I could pull off in a factory tube. Plus I try to be conservative in my calculations so I don't get o over eager. If I could get 3000 out of the 230 that would be awesome.

I don't even actually have the gun in hand right now or I would have already shoot it and went from there. If I don't like it I will maybe just sell it or trade it for something I would rather have mi already got one good long range hunting rig so this one is just for fun and messing around. But if I make this one a dandy them I can just keep the other one in the closet until my kids are ready for it.

with rl33 you should land in the 3,000-3,1000 fps range with a 225-230 grain bullet in the 300rum with a 26" bbl..
I'm running the lh version of the rifle you have with a 6-18 buckmaster on top with turrets in Leopold mounts. In it I run 180 hornady's with rl25 (3,300 fps), 190 hornady's with wc872(3,100fps), and 225 hornady hpbt's with rl33(3,000fps). I also use rl50 with 220 hpbt nosler's if I see fit. Lately it's been the 225 hornady and rl33 getting the nod. The 300rum I have is one of the best rifles I own accuracy wise and I'd put it up against a custom if I got the chance. She'll beat you a new one though if you can't take a bit of recoil.

I tend to be a little bit torn on this project.I have a 7RM Sendero that shoots great and will do everything I need it to do. I put s jewel trigger in it, tactical bolt handle, elevated cheek piece, muzzle brake. Shots awesome and is an eextreme pleasure to shoot. But I can get this 300rum for a pretty good price and I have always wanted to at least try out one of these big boomers. I really don't want to put a new barrel on if I don't have to but we will see I guess. Might be one of those 5 year projects where I put one more new pay on it every year tool I have it the way I want it. I really don't need all the power. But who doesn't like more power right?

WOW! That's cookin for a 230 in a 300 RUM with only a 27in barrel.

Just to clarify, the barrel on the new full custom is a 32" Broughton 5C and has custom throating. The 27" Lilja was the shot out barrel. I got about 2,970fps out of it with the 230's when I played with them in it. The 215's ran 3,140fps.

Just to clarify, the barrel on the new full custom is a 32" Broughton 5C and has custom throating. The 27" Lilja was the shot out barrel. I got about 2,970fps out of it with the 230's when I played with them in it. The 215's ran 3,140fps.

Even with a 32in. 5c, 3240 is flat out smokin fast with a 230 in a 300 RUM.

What's you load recipe for that bad boy?? Custom throating, does that mean the OAL is stretched way out or something else?

I guess the thing I always wonder about the 300 RUM is if it is worth it. More for brass, more powder, more recoil. I guess a guy has to pay for the added performance.

I have heard of guys getting close to 1000rds out of a 300 RUM before burnout. Would this be a fair estimate?

I am guessing I coudl turn this into a 5 year plan sort of thing. One year barrel it. One year stock it. One year put optics on it. A couple more years for other accessories. Try to mitigate the cost a little bit. I would think that a 28" barrel would probably get me 3000fps with 230's????? Would that be a fair judgment? To me, that is a pretty mean killer. You are getting into 338 bullet weight range with those 230's and some pretty good velocity. That seems to me it would be a pretty emaculate long range killer, probably out to 1500yds maybe even. Hard to say, depending on conditions of shooting ability of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.