300 RUM to 7MM RUM

joelbiltz

How hard or what steps would it take to neck down nosler 300 rum to 7mm rum is it a easiy process. I have been reloading for about 7 years but have never done anything like this. Would it be to just run the 300 in a 7 mm die or is it more complicated than this. Thanks in advanced. Joel

Most likely, you will have to turn down the necks some. If you are shooting a factory rifle, you may be ok. I have necked down some 308 LC NM brass down to 708 and they feed and work fine out of a factory 708.

joelbiltz,
to the best of my knowledge all you need to do is run it in your full length sizing die. Make sure the cases are lubed sufficeintly. I have never taken the 300 ultra down to 7mm ultra and would have tried it for you but I only have a Redding type S bushing die for the ultra. I have taken .308 down to .708 in one step without a problem. As far as neck thickness my Nosler 300 ultra case necks are .004 thinner than the 7mm ultra so there will not be a problem as far neck thickness. If you would like I could send you one of my Nosler 300 ultra cases and you could try it.
FWIW,
308nate

Joel,i've sized 300 rem brass down to 7 and had no problems.my neck was 319 and didn't have to turn any off the necks.

308, how does the neck wall thickness of your nosler brass compare to the Rem if you don't mind me asking?

I've been doing it since before 7mmRUM brass was offered - it's a one step deal. Lube appropriately, F/L re-size, & load. The original chamber had plenty of neck space with Remington brass. No need to neck turn in most instances. As always, check yours to ensure proper fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

308 nate I would really appreciate you sending one of your 300 RUM nosler cases to me. I do not have the rifle yet but it will be here mon or tues. After I break in the BBL and run a few rounds through it you will be getting this one in the mail for a few upgrades including your new v break. I have decided to leave the Hs precison alone for now but you probably will be getting it sometime to. Thanks again My address is

Joel Biltz
6194 Whitcomb RD
Brookville IN 47012

If you need call me at 1-765-969-7479

Dave,
I just checked 1/2 doz. cases for neck thickness and they were all within .001. which is pretty good in my book.;)
Even if these cases didn't last any longer than Remington...the amount of time that goes into preping Remington brass makes them worth more than 4 time the money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't really dislike Rem. brass I just hate to prep brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif besides the fact that you need to buy three to four times as much brass if you are going to sort by weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
FWIW,
308nate

308,thanks, but it wasn't exactly what i wanted to know. let me try to be a little better with my question,i wasn't very clear in my request.i want to know the actual wall thickness of the remington and nosler brass at the neck.i have to turn the necks on the rem brass before i can shoot it.if the nosler is a little thinner,i might not have to. thanks.

Joel,

270 AM owners neck 300 & 7MM ultra cases to 270 with out any problems and without turning necks "much". "Much" means more or less cosmetic touches as there seems to be no real need.

HTH

Nosler 300 brass it will be then. Thank all of you for your responses. I have learned so much from this sight and appriciate all of you time and efforts. Thanks again Joel

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.