300 rum to 338 rum

338RUML

I believe I've heard of people pushing the shoulder 90 thousandths back on 300 or 7mm rum brass and necking it up to 338 to make 338 rum brass. I am curious because 300 rum brass is cheaper than nosler 338 rum brass and more available. How do you do it? And is it worth it?

You didn't mention which brand of brass.

I looked at several sites selling both 300 RUM and 338 RUM brass. Remington brass is unavailable. This leaves you with Hornady or Nosler. If you look around prices are similar for both.

Example: Midway has 338 Rum brass for $61.99 vs $66.99 for Nosler 300 Rum brass. With this price no point in bothering to alter 300 RUM brass.

You searched for: nosler 338 rum brass - MidwayUSA

I couldn't find 338 RUM norma brass if you wanted Norma I guess you would have to resize. I would suggest you call Redding and ask them for advice. 607-753-3331

If you're interested, you could buy Nosler 338 RUM brass (blem) for $45.95 over at SPS.
I've shot quit a few "blem" bullets and could not tell the difference between them and their regular line of bullets. Accuracy and terminal performance have both been outstanding.

Just another option.

You didn't mention which brand of brass.

I looked at several sites selling both 300 RUM and 338 RUM brass. Remington brass is unavailable. This leaves you with Hornady or Nosler. If you look around prices are similar for both.

Example: Midway has 338 Rum brass for $61.99 vs $66.99 for Nosler 300 Rum brass. With this price no point in bothering to alter 300 RUM brass.

You searched for: nosler 338 rum brass - MidwayUSA

I couldn't find 338 RUM norma brass if you wanted Norma I guess you would have to resize. I would suggest you call Redding and ask them for advice. 607-753-3331

Imo Norma brass is better than nosler brass. I can order 100 rounds of Norma 300 rum from brownells for 2 dollars a shot 199.99 if i order 338 rum brass I can only get nosler for 61.99 for 25 2.48 a shot

Even if it were to work...that's a lot of time spent on something you could just buy and be done. Also, you are really over working the brass before you even fire your first shot. I've had the family of ultra mags for a very long time and have never heard of anyone doing this. I'm certain it could be done, but I guess I don't know why you would. My 2 cents, buy the 338 rum brass. You will have much less hassle.

Jayson

I've done it from time to time but it's not just not worth it unless you just need 20 to hunt with or something small batch. For 48 cents difference I wouldn't even hesitate, buy the 338 RUM if it's available!!

I believe I've heard of people pushing the shoulder 90 thousandths back on 300 or 7mm rum brass and necking it up to 338 to make 338 rum brass. I am curious because 300 rum brass is cheaper than nosler 338 rum brass and more available. How do you do it? And is it worth it?

You could always open the chamber to .338 Edge, and then you won't have to push the shoulder back on .300 RUM brass. You just open up the case neck to .338 and shoot to fire-form. Much simpler and easier, and you gain some case capacity. :cool:

You could always open the chamber to .338 Edge, and then you won't have to push the shoulder back on .300 RUM brass. You just open up the case neck to .338 and shoot to fire-form. Much simpler and easier, and you gain some case capacity. :cool:

Man am I glad you mentioned that I spoke to a gentlemen and he claimed that it's easy to do you just ream the chamber and then your good I have a stock rem 338 rum could I lengthen the chamber on the stock barrel? I am 98% sure I want to go through with this if it is not a huge cost to do it. Any info on how to do this like what I need, I know a smith with a lathe. Or should I send it out to someone like Oregon gunsmithing

Man am I glad you mentioned that I spoke to a gentlemen and he claimed that it's easy to do you just ream the chamber and then your good I have a stock rem 338 rum could I lengthen the chamber on the stock barrel? I am 98% sure I want to go through with this if it is not a huge cost to do it. Any info on how to do this like what I need, I know a smith with a lathe. Or should I send it out to someone like Oregon gunsmithing

Yes, you can have the chamber opened to .338 Edge on your factory .338 RUM barrel. And yes, you will want a reputable gunsmith to perform this task, to be sure the chamber gets cut straight and the headspacing is setup properly.

You'll need custom dies and a custom reamer...Midway sells them, and has them in stock.

PTG Interchangeable Pilot Chamber Finish Reamer 338 Edge (338-300

Redding 3-Die Set 338-300 Remington Ultra Mag (338 Edge)

Yes, you can have the chamber opened to .338 Edge on your factory .338 RUM barrel. And yes, you will want a reputable gunsmith to perform this task, to be sure the chamber gets cut straight and the headspacing is setup properly.

You'll need custom dies and a custom reamer...Midway sells them, and has them in stock.

PTG Interchangeable Pilot Chamber Finish Reamer 338 Edge (338-300

Redding 3-Die Set 338-300 Remington Ultra Mag (338 Edge)
So if I have a good gunsmith do this that has a reamer can he just use his? Or is it a one time reamer then it's toast meaning I would need to buy one anyway? What would a rough estimate be for cost to have this done?

You'll spend more money in gunsmith fees, load development and parts just to save a little in brass for little to none in performance gain.

Think about it, pull the barrel and rechamber, you'll need a Wyatt's mag box installed if you don't want to single shoot, re bed the lug area, then you buy dies just so you can save little a shot??

You'll spend more money in gunsmith fees, load development and parts just to save a little in brass for little to none in performance gain.

Think about it, pull the barrel and rechamber, you'll need a Wyatt's mag box installed if you don't want to single shoot, re bed the lug area, then you buy dies just so you can save little a shot??

I plan on buying a good set of dies anyway, I am tossing the factory stock bedding is not a problem, how much would I gain in velocity with 225 Barnes and accubonds and with 300 Berger elite hunters?

I've seen zero difference to 50fps between an rum and edge in an average build, if you go single shot and throat the edge out over 4.0 inches then you can start getting more out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.