300 RUM on Savage Magnum bolt face?

the444shooter

I got a 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag, and although I haven't shot it yet, I've already started to wonder what I can do with it later on down the road. I love the platform as a "walking around" long range rifle, and the Savage magnum contour barrel has a surprising amount of heft to it. I know I could buy a new barrel in 7mm STW, 300 Win, or 300 Wby, but what about 300 RUM? I saw that the base diameter was .534, and the 7mm Mag and all above magnums are at .532. Would I need a new bolt face or have my current bolt face opened up? I was under the impression that there is only one "magnum" bolt face, but am concerned about the .002 discrepancy in base diameters. Any insight is appreciated!

Every magnum cartridge will fit that bolt face except the ones base on the 338 lapua and 378wby/416rigby, even though they may vary from .531-.535 only difference in the wsm's and ultra mags is there not belted.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.