.300 RUM + 240 SMK loads using US869?

yote bomber

Just picked up a pound of US869 and a box of the 240 Sierra Match Kings... I've seen a little bit of data on here for this combo, but most of it seems like it was shot in custom rifles. I'll be running them out of a stock Sendero in .300 RUM...

I'm thinking starting somwhere in the 93 grain range and working up? I'm thinking 2850 should be an acceptable velocity, as long as the accuracy/consistency are there. Anyone got any suggestions on where the velocity should be?

My "Quick Load" v3.4 93.0g of US 869 2678fps 54,145psi and 99.0g at 2858 at 67,908psi out of a 26'' barrel. You should find an accurate load some where in between if the 1 in 10 twist will stablize those 240g MK's.

Hope this helps!

Something isn't right with those numbers. Quickload shows me only 62.2 KSI at 99 grains with a velocity of 2893. That's with the weighting factor at the default of .5--it should be lowered to more accurately represent this case. At .4 it shows only 59.7 KSI at 2914 fps, which is closer to what I've seen in reality.

2900 fps with a 240... at under 60k psi would be an awesome load. Especially with the current availability of .300 RUM brass.

Jon you are correct! my weighting factor was set at .7, I don't have a 300
RUM to compair any data. How do you like yours? I have been thinking about betting a Rem Sendoro.

.7! Ouch! That'll do it! ;) I'm glad we figured out the discrepancy though.

I still like it a lot. It's a great round.

It's a measure of the percent of powder/gases that go "down the bore with the bullet." For example, a straight walled case has a relatively small case capacity and large bore capacity. By the time the bullet exits the muzzle there's only a very small percentage of gas left in the case—most of it is in the bore. On the contrary, for an "overbore" case, with a relativley large case capacity/small bore capacity, when the bullet exits there's still a large amount of gas left in the case itself, a much smaller percentage will be traveling down the bore with the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.