300 PRC or 338 Lapua for bigger animals?

I'd skip both personally. To me the PRC isn't really that special of a round. Other rounds do what it does and have been around for longer, which means more loading data available.

I usually don't consider 30 cals and 338's competitors. If you need the 33 call you wouldn't consider a 30. If you can do it comfortable with a 30, I wouldn't want to lug around the weight and recoil that comes with a lapua, since I don't use a break (my profession requires me to have impeccable hearing and brakes are extremely loud to the shooter and spotter. Nothing against those who use them I just really need to protect my ears)

If you need the 338, go for it. If you don't, don't even consider it. They're incredibly heavy, loud, expensive, recoil like crazy, and all the other things that make me want a gun ;)

If you don't need the lapua, but want a 33 cal anyway, a better option would be a 325 wsm, 338 weatherby, 338 win mag, etc.
33 nosler is a great option for beltless but a little underpowered so if you don't mind doing a little fire forming you could go with one of the 33 nosler hybrids that's actually a necked up 28 nosler, for the little extra case capacity that the 28 has, there's other 33 cal beltless options that are great too and don't require the extra weight of the lapua boldface platforms

I just read this comparison of 300 win/338 win/338 lapua. https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-win-mag-vs-338-lapua-vs-338-win-mag/

The comparison in recoil and price is particularly illuminating - the 338 lapua has a huge powder capacity in comparison to the prc (which will be similar to the 300 win, though not quite as inexpensive or available). I've gotta agree with those who have written the 338 caliber is more effective against very large and tough animals than a 300. However, in a hunting weight rifle (max 10 lbs for my preference), the 338 lapua would be obnoxious. I've been around more than a few being fired and in my experience, they do have more blast than a 300. Actual recoil wasn't that bad, but the one I fired was 15+ lbs with a brake.

Of the options you listed, I'd still go 300 prc, but I'm ordering one tomorrow so that's no surprise. However, if I planned to hunt coastal brown bears some day, and was considering a rifle with that sort of heavy recoil, I'd go 338 win or 375 ruger for more effectiveness on really big game than the 300's, but less recoil than the 338 lapua.

Muzzle brakes alleviate the recoil concern. All high power rifles damage hearing, with a muzzle brake or without a muzzle brake.

I have one 338 LAI that weighs in at 10lbs with a Zeiss V4 scope mounted. Sports a Proof CFW 9.4 twist barrel, a BAT HR action, and a McMillan "Edge" technology Game Hunter stock.

Recoil not obnoxious, even with 300gr bullets fired at maximum pressure loads. Recoil is a non-issue, very manageable, with the Muzzle Brakes & More 5-Port titanium muzzle brake.

So I'm experiencing a complete disconnect... but enjoying it...

Oh heck, why not get a 338-378 Weatherby,
Go big or stay home! (a custom built 338-378 Wby could be very interesting)
Seriously though, the 338 LM is a serious long range cartridge capable of extreme accuracy and capable of taking any game on this continent.

Oh heck, why not get a 338-378 Weatherby,
Go big or stay home! (a custom built 338-378 Wby could be very interesting)
Seriously though, the 338 LM is a serious long range cartridge capable of extreme accuracy and capable of taking any game on this continent.
.33 xc - what the .338-378 hopes to be when it grows up 🤪🤪🤪🤪😝😝😝.

Not quite a .338 cheytac but no neat for that huge cheytac bolt face either.

Trying to decide on my next hunting gun. This will be used for either larger buck deer, mule deer, elk, moose, grizzly. I was thinking of either the 338 Lapua with 250 grain bullets or the 300 PRC with 212-220 grain bullets.
Leaning towards a Savage Long Range Hunter. Both have 26" barrels. I just got back from a black bear hunt and used a 450 bushmaster with 240 HV bullets. I was disappointed I did not get a pass thru with that combo. Thats why I'm looking for something with more power. I have a 300 WBY, but it really can only handle bullets up to 190 grains for mag length. Thanks
Id go with 300 PRC because of factory ammo availability

Trying to decide on my next hunting gun. This will be used for either larger buck deer, mule deer, elk, moose, grizzly. I was thinking of either the 338 Lapua with 250 grain bullets or the 300 PRC with 212-220 grain bullets.
Leaning towards a Savage Long Range Hunter. Both have 26" barrels. I just got back from a black bear hunt and used a 450 bushmaster with 240 HV bullets. I was disappointed I did not get a pass thru with that combo. Thats why I'm looking for something with more power. I have a 300 WBY, but it really can only handle bullets up to 190 grains for mag length. Thanks
Between your two choices, I'd go with the .338 LM.

Muzzle brakes alleviate the recoil concern. All high power rifles damage hearing, with a muzzle brake or without a muzzle brake.

I have one 338 LAI that weighs in at 10lbs with a Zeiss V4 scope mounted. Sports a Proof CFW 9.4 twist barrel, a BAT HR action, and a McMillan "Edge" technology Game Hunter stock.

Recoil not obnoxious, even with 300gr bullets fired at maximum pressure loads. Recoil is a non-issue, very manageable, with the Muzzle Brakes & More 5-Port titanium muzzle brake.

So I'm experiencing a complete disconnect... but enjoying it...
Recoil is still an "issue" with a brake; it's just lessened. A braked prc will kick less than a braked lapua.

And brakes don't give you a free lunch, even with hearing protection, it's noticeably and significantly louder shooting a braked magnum than a non braked, especially if you're not the shooter and are the spotter seated to the side of the shooter, where most of the sound gets directed from a brake. If you only hunt by yourself it's not as big of an issue, but my ears are my money makers, I work on pianos for a living. If my ears get damaged I'm out a lot of luck for a lot of my job.

All that doesn't stop me from wanting a lapua based gun, I'm slowly acquiring parts for a 300 terminator as we speak (with various home improvements delaying the process) but still it's something to think about for the people that recoil does matter for, and the biggest downside to lapua, even above recoil and noise; is weight. If you cut down on that then you amplify the recoil. Have to choose one or the other, for me, I chose adding recoil to save weight

For all those animals the 300 wby is more than adequate.
A 338 will kill animals faster with the right bullet
Your better off going with a 338 rum over the lapua if your planning on using 250 gr bullets
and a 300 prc is essentially the same as a 300 win if its throated properly
Your 450 bushmaster didnt get a pass through because of the bullet that you were using
It expanded too fast
Bullet construction is just as important as the caliber you choose

I have a Weatherby 338-378, it's heavy. 275 grain bullet 3000 fps is awesome. Takes elk off their feet. Did I mention it's heavy. Lol. Last year got a 300 prc to get some knockdown power in a lot lighter rig. Shooting Hornady 212 bullets. Very accurate, but not impressed in killing. I'm getting ready to develop a load combo but for now the big gun is where it's at.

I shoot a 300prc and like it more than my 2 300wm. 338lapua has a huge gas tank and with power being what it is... efficiency is a big factor for me personally. I'd go 338edge before I went 338lapua but you are gonna have to handload.

If you have a 300wby you don't "need" either new cartridge, you just need different projectiles. I'd look at hammers or nosler partitions if you are not shooting really far.