300 PRC or 338 Lapua for bigger animals?

WEATHERBY460

Trying to decide on my next hunting gun. This will be used for either larger buck deer, mule deer, elk, moose, grizzly. I was thinking of either the 338 Lapua with 250 grain bullets or the 300 PRC with 212-220 grain bullets.
Leaning towards a Savage Long Range Hunter. Both have 26" barrels. I just got back from a black bear hunt and used a 450 bushmaster with 240 HV bullets. I was disappointed I did not get a pass thru with that combo. Thats why I'm looking for something with more power. I have a 300 WBY, but it really can only handle bullets up to 190 grains for mag length. Thanks

Agree totally with @Casscade. The PRC is a phenomenal cartridge, but it is really not a huge improvement from the current big 30's (300 Wby, 300 Wm, etc). The 300 norma gives you a ton on length to work with so you can load the highest BC class bullets. If you're open to wildcat's, the 300 lapua (maybe not technically a wildcat anymore?) is a screamer.

IMO the 338 lapua is a little lethargic with 300 gr bullets (only my opinion, still it's a great cartridge). The 338 lapua ackley is pretty impressive though.

Last edited:
Trying to decide on my next hunting gun. This will be used for either larger buck deer, mule deer, elk, moose, grizzly. I was thinking of either the 338 Lapua with 250 grain bullets or the 300 PRC with 212-220 grain bullets.
Leaning towards a Savage Long Range Hunter. Both have 26" barrels. I just got back from a black bear hunt and used a 450 bushmaster with 240 HV bullets. I was disappointed I did not get a pass thru with that combo. Thats why I'm looking for something with more power. I have a 300 WBY, but it really can only handle bullets up to 190 grains for mag length. Thanks
I like your choice of rifle & BOTH cartridges. I suppose ammo availability would dictate for me. JMO

What Weatherby you shooting? All three of my 300s feed fine with 212 gr and 220....

I have two 300 win and a 338 Lapua. I wouldn't feel under-gunned hunting any of the animals above with them. If an exit hole is result you expect, selecting the right bullet is more important than the difference between 338 Lapua and 300 PRC. The 338 Lapua is going to be better for long range but your ability and the bullets you shoot are a bigger factor for long range. The 338 will make a bigger hole and hit harder. I would say go with the 338 but the 300 PRC isn't a bad choice. With ammunition/reloading shortages I would consider buying ammunition/reloading supplies before or at the same time I bought the gun.

For me there is no chance it is 300PRC over 338, I'd do a 338 Win Mag over a PRC personally if elk and moose and big bears are in the mix. Handloading I would go 338 Edge probably over the Lapua but I would have a long hard think on doing a 338 Lapua standard or Improved. Not handloading would be a 338 Lapua in a heartbeat.

Recent Posts