300 PRC hunting build

A 338 would be a step up all around for sure. I guess I don't know much about the 33s since hadn't thought too much about building one. The new 338 Sherman was mentioned, and seems to be at the lower end. On the other side a 338 Lapua seems to be the upper, needing a bigger action?

What do I need to know about a 338?
Id look at the 338 edge. ADG makes brass, your standard 700 clone actions work well. Do it on a single shot, throated for 300s the oal will be over 4". If a repeater is a must, then I like the 338 Norma improved but I only like building those on Bat actions because of the 1 1/8 thread tenon and larger lugs.

could not care one single bit about a pound of powder($30) over the life of a barrel much more interested in overall rifle balance and fit and convenience in the briar patch.

don't really care what anyone shoots, we are free men and women that get to make up our own minds. OP just asked about how short is too short for that cartridge and I'm giving him short barrel data so he can decide if it fits what he wants.

maybe next I'll build a 20" cheytac and really make it fun😁
While you're building your 20" cheytac someone else is trying to build a 50cal. necked down to the size of a needle!

Is the Edge that much better than the 338 Rum? I guess the extra .090" case length helps the performance. Also for single feed are there ejection problems with a 4" coal and taking out a loaded round in a standard REM 700 LA? Would I need the RUM action?

I have three 338 Rums and almost no difference in them with the Edge ..except dies ! Way cheaper !!
Yes mine are single feed . Yes you have to just release the bolt a touch to release a live round . When I load I intend to shoot .

Any magnum action will work . I have used. 7mm Rem mag
300 win mag
300 Rum all work just fine for me .

Send me a PM when your ready to put one together if you like , I will do my best to help you out !!
I will be starting my 7 th . 338 build this fall..

Rum Man

Curious on your barrel recommendation. My 300 prc was built for backpacking. 22in barrel. . I know ya lose a little in speed but with the high bc bullets and weight I've lost nothing in accuracy. The only barrel that was a must was at least 28 on my 338 edge. So I'm curious where you're coming from
Curious on your barrel recommendation. My 300 prc was built for backpacking. 22in barrel. . I know ya lose a little in speed but with the high bc bullets and weight I've lost nothing in accuracy. The only barrel that was a must was at least 28 on my 338 edge. So I'm curious where you're coming from
How is the recoil on your 300 PRC with the 22" barrel?