300 PRC hunting build

Despite the name, no one is using either the 6.5 or 300 PRC in competitions. They make good hunting rounds, but they are not prs or elr cartridge's.
Umm I don't believe that's accurate, no pun intended..
I've seen plenty of 6.5 prcs in my limited prs match experience, and for sure there are a ton of guys running 300 prcs for ELR.
Here's just one source of many
Screenshot_20220111-192750_Chrome.jpg

Umm I don't believe that's accurate, no pun intended..
I've seen plenty of 6.5 prcs in my limited prs match experience, and for sure there are a ton of guys running 300 prcs for ELR.
Here's just one source of many
View attachment 329740
Strange as it seems from what I read there are a lot of folks shooting the PRC in PRS and other LR competition but there is a consistent complaint that there is too much recoil from the PRC for them to be completive regularly.

Strange as it seems from what I read there are a lot of folks shooting the PRC in PRS and other LR competition but there is a consistent complaint that there is too much recoil from the PRC for them to be completive regularly.
Yeah I agree the 6.5 prc is too much for prs which is a game of speed and recoil management.
ElR however is very popular with the 6.5 and 300 prc.
Remember ELR cartridge's have traditionally been big 338s and 375s so a 30 cal is fairly mild in comparison

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. The guys winning in prs mostly have gone to 6mms like the dasher or bra. The 6.5 was more popular but the trend is toward the 6. In true elr, the 300 prc is just not even close to what guys are running. The 338 lapua imp that I love is even too small for those guys. I dont worry about what blogs say, Im building rifles for guys and I know what they are ordering. Both prc cases are great, but they are not ideal for any competition that exists.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. The guys winning in prs mostly have gone to 6mms like the dasher or bra. The 6.5 was more popular but the trend is toward the 6. In true elr, the 300 prc is just not even close to what guys are running. The 338 lapua imp that I love is even too small for those guys. I dont worry about what blogs say, Im building rifles for guys and I know what they are ordering. Both prc cases are great, but they are not ideal for any competition that exists.

PRS matches have little to do with actual hunting other than having to hit a target with a bullet.

Chasing fads is unbelievably expensive and almost always non productive.

99% of the world's medium and large game can be taken at any reasonable range with something in the 6.5-7.62 cartridges we have available today.

Unless you're shooting varmints or the largest and most dangerous game just pick any one of the 10-20 most popular rounds From 3.5-7.62 and you'll never be undergunned.

PRS matches have little to do with actual hunting other than having to hit a target with a bullet.

Chasing fads is unbelievably expensive and almost always non productive.

99% of the world's medium and large game can be taken at any reasonable range with something in the 6.5-7.62 cartridges we have available today.

Unless you're shooting varmints or the largest and most dangerous game just pick any one of the 10-20 most popular rounds From 3.5-7.62 and you'll never be undergunned.
Never said it did. Looking at what PRS or ELR is doing means very little for anything other than PRS or ELR.

I shot 16 prs/field matches last year. I know of 1 guy who ran 65prc. This is local stuff, all over MT and WY. I'd say majority were running 65/6creed. I did shoot some 2 day national matches over in Washington, and **** its a much deeper pool of talent. EVERYONE is running 6mm dasher, br variants, gt and creed as Alex has stated. ELR starts at a mile, and goes deeper. Look at king of 2 mile, nobody is shooting anything with less than 130gr powder capacity. A 65 or 300prc case is going transonic at close to a mile in most environments other than the mountains/high plains in USA. These are not ELR cartridges. Most the matches we shoot there are always targets fron 1100-1400y with our prs rigs. This is long range, not ELR.

I shot 16 prs/field matches last year. I know of 1 guy who ran 65prc. This is local stuff, all over MT and WY. I'd say majority were running 65/6creed. I did shoot some 2 day national matches over in Washington, and **** its a much deeper pool of talent. EVERYONE is running 6mm dasher, br variants, gt and creed as Alex has stated. ELR starts at a mile, and goes deeper. Look at king of 2 mile, nobody is shooting anything with less than 130gr powder capacity. A 65 or 300prc case is going transonic at close to a mile in most environments other than the mountains/high plains in USA. These are not ELR cartridges. Most the matches we shoot there are always targets fron 1100-1400y with our prs rigs. This is long range, not ELR.
I hate to continue this tangent but ELR is pretty diverse in terms of course of fire.
The guys doing the seriously extreme end of ELR like KO2mile are using 375s and 416s.
Many matches are 1500-2100 yards and those are dominated by 338s, 300 NM, 300 prc, 7 Saum, and yes even the 6.5 prc.
I see there are also quite a few ELR matches that have restricted divisions for 30 cal and under, I have a few friends who shoot ELR and was really interested in getting involved when the covid crap started🙄.
Here's some info that I've used to understand ELR, please correct me if it's wrong.
https://elrcentral.com/elr-matches/

When a bullet goes trans sonic you will fight a lot of vertical. Staying super sonic to the target is certainly desirable. We shoot a 2000 yd match on f class targets. Not steel. Targets are measured for group and score. The only elr match in the world that measures group size. The 7s have done poorly, the 30s are getting close but the 338 lapua imps have done best. The larger stuff with lathe turned bullets are competitive. My 300 prc is awesome at 1k. But I know it will have 50" of vertical at 2k because it will be transonic. I dont know about the hit or miss matches, but the group matches I do.

Nightforce ELR steel challenge is just not the same world as ko2m and elite2k

They require such radically different equipment to be competitive that it's a shame they all use the ELR term.

Nightforce ELR steel challenge is just not the same world as ko2m and elite2k

They require such radically different equipment to be competitive that it's a shame they all use the ELR term.
ELR is just the next step past the "LR" term. LR may be 600-1760 and ELR may be 1760-4000, maybe beyond. It's a fair designation IMO. But that's just my opinion.

ELR is just the next step past the "LR" term. LR may be 600-1760 and ELR may be 1760-4000, maybe beyond. It's a fair designation IMO. But that's just my opinion.
Last I checked on this forum lr is considered 600-1000 and ELR is 1000+. That may have changed.

In that case it's laughable how different a "competitive" ELR cartridge can be. From a 6 dasher to a 408