300 or 7mm

Caleb85

I am retiring my 7mm sendero ( showing a lot of throat loss, going to put away for the son to shot when he gets old enough). But I have a older 300 sendero that I really don't like to shot and my knowledge on the 7mmRM is far beyond that of the 300 win mag. So my question is if it where you would you take the 300 and build the 7mm of you dreams or just shut up and tackle the 300? Now my component stock for the 7mm is A LOT bigger the what I have for the 300. Now here what the rifle will be used for, deer, elk, muleys, speed goats, paper and steel. Also if I build the 7mm I will have a bunch of 300 stuff on here for sale :D

Well, if I didn't like shooting the 300 and the 7mm has always met my needs, and I knew the 7mm like the back of my hand. I would take the 300 and build the 7mm of my dreams. Somehow I just don't think I would be happy otherwise.

Well, if I didn't like shooting the 300 and the 7mm has always met my needs, and I knew the 7mm like the back of my hand. I would take the 300 and build the 7mm of my dreams. Somehow I just don't think I would be happy otherwise.

Gotta agree 110%. If you love and know the 7mm, build the 300 into a custom 7.

You could always keep the .300 Sendero tube and build a .300 Ackley out of it. Very easy to develope a load for. And if it is the factory Sendero 1:10 barrels, it should like the 210 Berger VLD's. You simply fireform new .300 Wby brass into the Ackley chamber. No special seating depths, no seating into the lands, no nothing out of the ordinary. Simple and easy, because it's belted.

Just figured I'd throw out that option, to help save you some coin on a new tube. You could save that $350-450 for reloading components. :D

Got to agree. I own both an shoot both. Both are great rounds! Like some on here, I've got more time with the 7mm mag( just got a warm spot in my heart for it) if you are comfortable with it, Shoot It! Build your dream rifle, because its on your mind an you know you want it. Lol. Serious, look at it like this, you will have one, your son will have one, that makes life great!!!!! Just my two cts!

DT

Ya I like that fact that my son and I would have a pair of 7's. And Mudd I don't know about that 300 ackley! Lol the 300 is just too big for everything I mentioned but the elk! Around here anyway. And big lean to would be the 1000 Berger 168's I just got in the mail!!:D

I've always got a soft-spot for 7's.... Always have, always will. Got more 7's than anything else in my lineup. I was just mentioning an option to get more out of the .300 and save some cash without having to buy a new barrel.

Believe it or not, the .300 Ackley is actually very tame in the recoil department. Mine doesn't have a brake on it.

I have a 300 ultra and a 7mm mag. Both custom, like them both, shoot both, both shoot. I however , like many of the previous posters, have a soft spot for my 7 that I can't explain.

Ok this is the " official" plan!...I have a ladder test loaded for the 300 and going to see about working up a load to see if it will shoot, if it dose I will keep the barrel and all the components for a raining day build. In the meantime there will be a barrel order and the new " magnificent 7" will be born . I thank you all for the replys and info ..I will let yall know how she comes out.

Well here is the latter test with the 300. Shows a lot of potential! (I think).

Attachments

• 20140822_153127.jpg
    20140822_153127.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 30
I would shoot the 77.8gr load for distance. if it remains the same it verify for velocity and have fun.

Just out of curiosity, if your going to do up a 7mm to the way you want, why don't you look into the 180 Bergers instead of the 168's?

As far as everything else go, personally love both calibers, have both, but I'm the opposite I love my 300. Winny a with the 210 vld's! Hoping to rebarrel shortly and get the 215's running down the tube. Got a moose hunting coming up shortly!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.