7mm, 300, or 338 RUM?

Tyler Kemp

I already have some small calibers, now I would like "something big" for long range deer. I am open to any other calibers that are extremely flat shooting and use a magnum bolt face. I planned on using a JP Eliminator brake, but if I get a smaller caliber I may not need one. The biggest factor for me is the lack of high BC bullets for game below 7mm.

Edit-I see the 6.5mm has more long range bullets than I had originally thought. What kind of ballistics can I get from say a 6.5 RUM?

Edit again-Does anyone have the BC's on the Wildcat bullets? Are they worth having a special twist over Bergers?

Last edited:
For deer at any range, they will all work well. Just remember that on average, the larger the bore diameter, the longer the barrel life will be if all else is equal.

Personally, I would lean toward the 7mm or 300 RUM for deer only mainly because the 338 is loosing popularity and may not be around forever. The 7mm can be made from the 300 easily so there will always be brass for that chambering.

Take your pick between the two, you can not go wrong really.

What Wildcat Bullets are you interested in? I have alot of data for many of Richards bullets and will offer if you are interested in the ones I have data for.

On the muzzle brake, I would say look at the Defensive Edge or Holland brakes before the JP. They are just so **** big and ugly and not really any more effective then the two I mentioned and those are much smaller designs that look much better on the end of your barrel in my personal opinion. From the number of JP brakes I remove and replace with these, others must think the same.

Kirby Allen(50)

For deer at any range, they will all work well. Just remember that on average, the larger the bore diameter, the longer the barrel life will be if all else is equal.

Personally, I would lean toward the 7mm or 300 RUM for deer only mainly because the 338 is loosing popularity and may not be around forever. The 7mm can be made from the 300 easily so there will always be brass for that chambering.

Take your pick between the two, you can not go wrong really.

What Wildcat Bullets are you interested in? I have alot of data for many of Richards bullets and will offer if you are interested in the ones I have data for.

On the muzzle brake, I would say look at the Defensive Edge or Holland brakes before the JP. They are just so **** big and ugly and not really any more effective then the two I mentioned and those are much smaller designs that look much better on the end of your barrel in my personal opinion. From the number of JP brakes I remove and replace with these, others must think the same.

Kirby Allen(50)
I rarely disagree with Kirby, but to me I am becoming a bigger fan of the 338 all the time. The 300RUM is awesome too, but I would take the 7WSM that Kirby built me 10 times out of ten over a 7RUM (just a couple more clicks on your scope to more than double barrel life) IMHO
UB

I'm not sure the .338 is right for me. Currently I'm only 16, and not making that much money, I couldn't afford to shoot it as much as I would like. Plus, the recoil may be too much for me without the brake. I shoot a hot handloaded 45-70, but that's about my limit for recoil and shooting well. With a 338 I don't want a sweet scar above my eye. I haven't shot a 300 RUM or 7mm, but I plan on making a heavier rifle off a Savage action, so recoil shouldn't be bad. 6.5 RUM wouldn't be too much more than the 7mm RM I used this year I would think.

I'm not sure the .338 is right for me. Currently I'm only 16, and not making that much money, I couldn't afford to shoot it as much as I would like. Plus, the recoil may be too much for me without the brake. I shoot a hot handloaded 45-70, but that's about my limit for recoil and shooting well. With a 338 I don't want a sweet scar above my eye. I haven't shot a 300 RUM or 7mm, but I plan on making a heavier rifle off a Savage action, so recoil shouldn't be bad. 6.5 RUM wouldn't be too much more than the 7mm RM I used this year I would think.

I wouldn't expect any of them to kick much more than a hot 45-70 (different but not much more, depending on rifle weight). If you reload, I'd go with the 300RUM, you can download it a little if needed, the barrel will outlast a 7mm RUM, good 30cal bullets are plentiful, its enough for most elk/bear situations and more than enough for long range deer.

Don't let recoil make the decision for you, with a good stock and a little heavier barrel, good recoil pad and reloads, you can have your cake and eat it too (with or without a brake). With a brake and some good muffs, you won't even feel the rifle go off and you'll be able to spot your own hits!

AJ

I'm with UncleB on this one. Properly braked and balanced my 338 RUM is a dream to shoot and I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with a larger/better case. I'm sure a 16 year old could shoot it as many times in an after noon with 300 SMKs @ 2700+ as I have and not be adversely affected except for the addiction part;).

Read Philny's story about his elk at 600+ yds. Took out both shoulders w/a ittsy bittsy 225 gr bullet out of a 338 RUM. Also the several harvests at distance with the Thunder and Edge and of course the AM and AX. Then there's the AL tip WCs in 265gr and Berger's upcoming offerings. Geez there I go dreamin' again.:eek:

Uncle B,

You know I am fond of the 338 caliber for sure, just of the three, the 7mm and 300 will be around much longer then the 338 RUM from what I am hearing from some in the industry. You could always make brass by shortening the 300 I suppose.

The Edge would be the best choice and I would agree with you on the barrel life issue.

I think we agree on this more then not, just was referring to the future availability of the brass for the 338 RUM is all.

To be honest, for his needs, a 338 WSM or 338 RUGER would be a hell of a choice but it sounds like he is not leaning toward the 338 caliber. I agree fully with all the points you bring up!!! They are good ones.

Kirby Allen(50)

Whatever you do, don't make a 6.5-300 ultra if you are worried about costs. You'll be buying so many barrels that the barrel companies will know you by name!

And the 7 ultra isn't much better for barrel life. Even the 300 has less than I like because I like to practice a lot. And the difference in costs of bullets of 30 cal and 338 is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I guess what I'm saying is don't get too radical right out of the gate. You need to practice, practice, practice, to do long range responsibly and there are SO MANY cartridges that will get way out there and they will allow you to practice without fear of buying two or three barrels per year.

One of my favorite things in life is to show up to a 1000 yard competition with my puny little 6br improved and beat all the big boomers and then show them what cartridge just ruined their day.

I'm leaning towards 30 caliber because I can reduce loads with the 300 RUM and use cheap bullets. With .338 there isn't as many choices for cheaper bullets I can practice out to 100 yards with. I don't feel comfortable taking what you guys consider long range shots on game yet, but I did get a doe at 285 this year with my 45-70. For that gun I consider 285 yards long range. With a 300 RUM I think I would feel confident out to 500 yards with a rangefinder easy. Will a Burris Signature Select 8-32x hold up on the 300? I plan on using this scope with the Savage action, and just swap barrels from 6mm Ackley for silhouette and varmints along with some long range practice, to 300 RUM for more practice and larger game. I am trading huntinfool18 for this scope, I should be getting it pretty soon.

What are the choices I have for a good brake that I can take on and off? When hunting I don't want to use ear protection so I would prefer to take the brake off. During practice I can wear plugs and muffs, but I just don't prefer any kind of muffs, amplifying or not in the field, and I don't really have the money for a good set anyways at this time.

I'm leaning towards 30 caliber because I can reduce loads with the 300 RUM and use cheap bullets. With .338 there isn't as many choices for cheaper bullets I can practice out to 100 yards with. I don't feel comfortable taking what you guys consider long range shots on game yet, but I did get a doe at 285 this year with my 45-70. For that gun I consider 285 yards long range. With a 300 RUM I think I would feel confident out to 500 yards with a rangefinder easy. Will a Burris Signature Select 8-32x hold up on the 300? I plan on using this scope with the Savage action, and just swap barrels from 6mm Ackley for silhouette and varmints along with some long range practice, to 300 RUM for more practice and larger game. I am trading huntinfool18 for this scope, I should be getting it pretty soon.

I would highly recommend against reduced loads in a 300 ultra. They don't shoot well underloaded and hangfires are a possiblity.
And there are some 338 bullets that are actually cheaper than some 30's.

But if 500 yards is your goal, neither the 338 ultra or the 300 ultra would be my first choice. Believe it or not, a 308 winchester would do the trick just fine-especially for whitetails. If you must have a magnum, look at the 7WSM or the 270 WSM.

No real need for a brake with these two magnums. But if you're doing a brake, simply hunt with corded earplugs around your neck. It takes two seconds to stick them in and it will save you many more years of good hearing.

Your Burris should work fine. If it doesn't, send it back in free of charge.

Last edited:

I don't think you will be able to swap barrels for those calibers, they have a totally different bolt face...

I know I have a standard for the 6mm Ackley. Already had the magnum because the Savage I'm building off of is a 7mm RM. I know this is fine for longer work, I just like new barrels and such. Recently while on a deer drive I had quite a wipe out. Hurt my knee and my gun, mostly just big dings and stuff, but the 7mm barrel has a big ugly scratch now. There's nothing wrong with it, I just want a "pretty" gun. I like big guns also, I understand a 308 Winchester or standard 300 Win Mag, or the 7mm Rem Mag I already have would be fine for ranges out to 500 and more, but I seem to have more confidence when shooting big guns, which is why I went for a 45-70 for short range work. I also handload, so 300 RUM shouldn't cost much more than anything else to reload for, especially when I consider I can ask for cases and bullets, powder, primers, for my birthday next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.