300 Norma/improved or 300 Rum

IDhunter0990

Wanting to build a 30 cal for elk hunting. I've always been a 7mm guy but I feel a real bad itch for a .30.Can't decide on which route to go. Anyone have both and have some pros and cons on both?

I have both and It's pretty much much 6's all the way around. If you are chasing velocity with heavy bullets step up to the lapua imp.

300 RUM -
Pros- Standard long action mag
Lots of brass options
Commercial dies
Cons - 4" mag box for heavy bullets
300 NM AI
Pros- maybe a little velocity edge but that is debatable
Good brass but availability sucks
Fits in 3.850 mag box

Cons- Lapua bolt face
Custom dies

This all boils down to what action you are going to use.
The RUM will fit most actions comfortably. The NMI needs a dedicated action with a .750" bolt, something like a Borden, which is what I will build 416 Rigby size cartridges on if I am able. Other customs will also handle the Rigby sized case, but a Rem 700 may have issues.
I have just bought a 300 RUM and am happy with it so far, needs refining as it is just a Rem 700 SPS.

Cheers.

Virtually the same. You right on track with your pros and cons. If you already have a magnum BF action, then no need to change. The 4.0" is crucial

Have both and can say if everything is equal ... as in barrel length, powder & bullets then they are ballistically similar, some barrels may show a bit more fps with either cartridge & some may load hotter ammo

mine are all on Rem700 actions and work just fine

the 300 NMI has become sort of a manbun cartridge lately and losing it's shine for me, I'm back to the 300 RUM & the 7.82 Warbird

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live