300 mag complete!

They don't seem to have a problem with the edge or rum, however. I have also seen it discouraged in the 700 action.

My thought is that if it is good enough to handle the rum and the edge, why can't it handle the Lapua, which is technically a smaller capacity round than the edge? Just a thought.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just repeating what I read. i have no practical knowledge in this endeavor. It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal other than taking the bolt off to eject a live round.

Thanks again for all the kind words guys. It's nice to have people ooing and aahhing at my gun for once, I know I do it a lot to others peoples guns. I dont know why but the edge does something more for me than the lapua, although if I cam eacross a lapua for a good deal i would not look the other way.

Here's a question for you guys. I have a Harris bipod on my 300 mag that I have had for quite a while. With the flat forend of my stock, I cant tighten the bipod that much and it is easy to move it back and forth. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks!

It's a 24 inch barrel. I wish it was longer, but I may get a custom barrel later on. Right now I only have 190 grain SMK's, so i will use those with RL-22.
My brother has a Sendoro in 300 Win mag and gets under 1/2" groups with the 190 Berger over 72.2 gr. RE22. I have a hart barreled 300 win mag and I am shooting in the .380 range using the same load only with 72.5 gr.
When I had my rifle built I asked Hart where to start for a good consistent load and that is where we ended up. Remington 9 1/2 bench rest primers lowered the SD and ES considerably compared to the CCI version.

Well I finally complete my Savage 300 Mag. It took me a while to get enough funds for it, but **** was it worth it. It's a savage 110fp 300 win mag, with SS scope, EGW 20 moa base, IOR heavy duty steel rings, and Stockade Prairie Dog stock. I need to get a Karsten cheek piece now, but other than that it's done! Here she is, my first long range precision rifle:

CIMG2252 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
CIMG2249 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For the most part, that is exactly what I want to build. Do you have a price list/source for all of the stuff you bought? I am pretty sure I am going with the 300WM but I am also toying with the idea of the 338 WM.

Here is the list:

Savage 110fp - $600, wally world
Stockade prairie dog special - $400, Stockade
IOR Heavy Duty Steel Rings - $100, SWFA
SWFA SS 10x - $300, SWFA
Harris bipod - bought it a long time ago and don't remember price, $60 - $80?

The 300 mag is a great round, I think it would be better for long range than the .338 win mag. When I get a lot more proficient with it, I will upgrade to a RUM or Edge. I do need to get it bedded. I dont know if I want to try it myself or pay to make sure it's done right.

Here is the list:

Savage 110fp - $600, wally world
Stockade prairie dog special - $400, Stockade
IOR Heavy Duty Steel Rings - $100, SWFA
SWFA SS 10x - $300, SWFA
Harris bipod - bought it a long time ago and don't remember price, $60 - $80?

The 300 mag is a great round, I think it would be better for long range than the .338 win mag. When I get a lot more proficient with it, I will upgrade to a RUM or Edge. I do need to get it bedded. I dont know if I want to try it myself or pay to make sure it's done right.

I have seen some people use a lapping compound on the rings. Did you do that or set the scope as-is?

I just set the scope as is. I loaded up 30 rounds for it. I used RL-22 from 72.0 to 72.8 grains, six rounds per 0.2 charge increase. I hope to be able to shoot here in the next couple of weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.