300 mag complete!

shooterpunk2

Well I finally complete my Savage 300 Mag. It took me a while to get enough funds for it, but **** was it worth it. It's a savage 110fp 300 win mag, with SS scope, EGW 20 moa base, IOR heavy duty steel rings, and Stockade Prairie Dog stock. I need to get a Karsten cheek piece now, but other than that it's done! Here she is, my first long range precision rifle:

CIMG2252 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
CIMG2249 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nice stick! How long of a barrel is that and is it custom? What loads are you going to run thru it?

It's a 24 inch barrel. I wish it was longer, but I may get a custom barrel later on. Right now I only have 190 grain SMK's, so i will use those with RL-22.

shooterpunk2,
Nice looking rifle. I've owned two 110FP's in the past, a .223 and a7mmRM, and both were great shooters. I got sub 1/2" groups from the 7Mag and sub 1/4" groups from the .223. Let me know how those 190's do with RL22. I tried them in my Savage (stock) with RL25 and never got anything promising. I get great groups from the 180SMK's with RL22 (75.5gn). Good luck. JohnnyK.

Savages are ugly. Just kiddin' Ive got a 110 FCP-K in .300wm on the way. I think the look just fine. Did stockade do all the work or did you piece it out? Do it yourselfer? Nice rifle.

I ordered the finished stock from them, and then put everyhting on myself, not too difficult at all. I've been throwing around the idea of a .338 edge barrel when I get more proficient with the 300 mag.

SP2,
I was thinking about a .338 Lapua Mag barrel last night for my Savage. Not even sure if it can be done. Maybe someone with some experience will chime in. Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the .338 Lapua Mag and the Edge? JohnnyK.

Most would say no. The action can't take the pressure. Go to Savage Shooters and they try to talk you out of even dreaming about it.

Yes it can be done. My cousin has a 338 Lapua Mag built on a Savage target action. You can order the bolt head. Yes I said the target action. To eject a loaded round you have to take the bolt out, but it will eject an empty casing. So far it cuts single holes. So for something that can't be done, it works pretty good so far. I think other companies are spreading this blasphemy to try and keep Savage out of the running. There are edges built on the Savage action.

As far as difference between the Edge and the Lapua, about 100 to 150 fps with the 300grn. SMK. We are expecting about 2800 to 2950 out of the Lapua in a 32" barrel it is built on.

Tank

I go on Savage Shooters all the time. That question is brought up often. All the heavy hitters shoot it down before any debate can even take place. They don't seem to have a problem with the edge or rum, however. I have also seen it discouraged in the 700 action.

I'm pretty sure Remington came out with factory rifles in 338 Lapua.

Nice rifle, by the way. I hope it shoots well for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.