30 cal bullets

robbor

Looking for bullet recomendations. I want to do some more loade development on my 300 rum for playing out to about 1000 yards. Till now I have only used the gun for hunting and have tried TSX 168's and nosler 168's. In running the numbers I am not seeing much of a benefit on switching to heavier bullets other than slightly less wind drift. Im looking for recomendation on higher BC bullets in the 168 to maybe 190 range and would prefer not to pay $50 a box.
Any recomendation for sierras,bergers,lapuas......
I cant seem to find much on lapua bullets
Thanks, Rob

Try the 210 bergers or 220 SMKs. I think you'll notice a much better ES w/these heavier bullets than you will w/the lighter bullets. Makes hitting the mark @ 1k a little easier.

Robbor,

while on paper the heavier, higher BC bullets may not seem to offer much of an advantage, I can assure you and I am sure most others on this board will also agree that using a heavy, long VLD or ULD type bullet with a high BC will make hits at long range MUCH easier then with a lighter, faster, lower BC bullet.

Don;t get to caught up in trajectories, bullet drop is easy to figure and is consistant. Wind drift is critical and even though it may not look like much on paper or a computer screen, the heavies will make consistant hits at long range easier.

They seem to make even more differnce then they are predicted to. Just my opinion.

Oh, and yes a heavier pill would make your big 300 RUM run much more consistantly as Bill stated.

I would start with a 200 gr Accubond but also look at the 200 gr SMK, 210 gr SMK and 210 gr Berger as well as the 210 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT. The Accubond is on the lower end BC wise but a better game bullet and generally very accurate.

The Berger, Sierra and Wildcat will offer higher BCs and also have plenty of bullet weight for big game hunting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Are you using Barnes' corrected BC of .404 for that bullet? Using it as an example, it'll have 75% more wind drift than a 240 SMK even when launched 500 fps faster. That's close to twice as much...this is what we're getting at.

As for bullets in that range, along with what others mentioned, don't forget the Interbond and Scirocco. They're both slippery suckers.

If you are hunting deer or varmits you need a bullet that will still expand at long range when velocity is low. I have been shooting a .300 winchester over ten years for long range hunting. I have learned the more fragile the bullet the better the results. It is hard to beat a 178 a max or a 180 ballistic tip. I have used match kings in both my 300 and 308 with the same results, they just zip right through without expanding. They are a great bullet but have to heavy of a jacket for deer size game or smaller. I shot several dozen coyotes with the 175 and 190 SMK and they do a great job (very little pelt damage). The berger bullets with the j4 jacket show promise. The 190 and 210 are both great long range bullets. With the fragile jacket, high BC and an affordable price they will both make a great long range bullet. I plan on shooting the 190 vld bergers for hunting this year. The most important thing is to use an accurate bullet that will dispence its energy on target at long range. If you put a bullet through the vitals or shoulder blades no meat is ruined anyway so the harder you hit them the better. When you are looking at 160" of horns at long range (600-1200 yards) you dont want to ask your self did I hit him? You want to hear a pop and see a puff of smoke where a deer was standing. With your 300 rum and a 210 berger you will have a great long range hammer.

If you have a twist that will stabilize bullets in the 210 to 220g. I would look at the 210g SMK or the 220 SMK or the 210 Berger here is a chuck I shot the other day with a 220 SMK.
412205-big.jpg

Thank you all. I think I will get some Berger 185's and 210's and give them a try. As for the rifle it is a 1 in 10 twist stock savage 116fss and I was trying to stay away from the heavy stuff given the light weight of the rifle. One day i will fit it with a longer heavy barrel but not right now. The rifle was brand new for last deer season and I only got a chance to go to the range once before sighting in and looking for a load. So I did not plan on shooting over 350 yards. Unless I really had to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I still have more work to do as I am not at max for rl-22 but want to try rl-25. What ever powder I used besides rl-22 did not shoot well at all and my finishing loads of rl-22 were just starting to group but I want to say I was still about 4-5 grains under max in my book. Even with the light loads I was very surprised by the flat trajectory and ease of hiting targets to 400. She just kicks like a mule. And as for the wildcat bullets they are just a little to pricy for me right now, its bad enough how much powder this thing eats.

You may want to put a brake on it if it kicks like a mule /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When i first got the 30-378. I bought some Hornady .308 30 CAL 190 GR Boat Tail Spire Point. Just for load development and it's .491 BC was about the highest in sub 200 grain bullets.

Sub 200gr bullets

Lapua 155 .508
Berger 168 .512
Sierra 175 .505
Berger 175 .528
Berger 185 .569
Nosler180 BT .507
Lapua 185 .521
Berger 190 .574
Looks like quite a few higher and I am sure ther are more.
Its pretty bad when a 155 has a higher bc than a 190.

Don't believe all manufacture claims! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Unless they are special VLD A boat tail of simular construction will always have a "true" higher BC as the grains go up. You also have to look at the true average BC from your max launching FPS to your target and how it does crossing into sub sonic.

You also were asking about affordable hunting bullets I thought?

CROW MAG
Why do you gut and clean rodents? do you eat them?LOL
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.