Heavy 30 cal bullets ??

James Jones

I'm hopefully going to build a long range rig soon , gonna be a hot 30 cal probably 30-338 Lapua Improved , 30" barrel with 1-9 twist. I'd like to get all the good out of that fast twist soI was wondering what other bullets besides the 240 Sierra Match Kings are their , I know that Richard Graves makes some but I can' seem to find any info on them , like BC's and recomended twist rates so if anybody can point me i the right direction , thanks
Anybody know or any other good LR hugh BC bullets?

Richard isn't really big on BC's. If I were you I'd call Richard or Kirby Allen as they has the most experience with the bullets as far as I know.

Richard gave me onna the aluminum tipped 30 cal rejects he grabbed off the floor when he came up a few weeks ago and I still have it in my pocket and show it to every one.. every one is amazed by it.

It looks really deadly..I just wish he could build them in 6.5.. Oh well just another reason I need onna the fast 30s too..

I'll try to post a photo if I can figure out how to get the photo off my phone.. but it must be 1.5 inches long...

whats the weight of that aluminum tipped bullet? I didne't think he made those for anthing under 338

I'm going with the 338 Lapua case over the 378 Wby due to the Lapua brass being far stronger and lasting alot longer and no belt.

I'm not 100% on the case I have been thinking alot about a match quality chamber in 300 RUM also but agin the quality of the brass is an issue

Richard makes a wonderfull 265 grain rebated boatail bullet in 30 cal, but they need an eight twist barrel to stabilize properly...

290gr. .308 wc uld rbbt-I didn't take this shot... pictures from hiking & backpacking photos on webshots

WC was making these 290's at one point. But I think they were prototypes for th3 265 jwp475 mentions above. JonA shot a few out of his 1:9 300RUM:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/250g-308-wildcat-19066/

Anybody have a pic of the 265's? Anyone?

More infor that might be helpful: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/308-al-tipped-wildcat-current-status-25191/

Yes it is because of JonA's testing with his 9 twist that we now know that they need an 8 twist to stabilize properly...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.