30 cal break used for smaller calibers.

Stewart2550

I'm at a crossroads, I have a 300 PRC I was planning on suppressing. Problem is I still haven't received it and have an elk hunt coming up. Shooting it without a break is not enjoyable. So I was looking at going with a break and eventually transitioning that break to my comp gun which is 6.5 caliber. Would I be giving up a lot not going to a dedicated 6.5 break or would I be fine with the 30 cal break. I'm running my comp gun suppressed now but would like to switch to a break. Thoughts?

Lots of posts on this subject. But to answer your question, you would be giving up an unmeasurable amount of performance. If you want metrics, I'd wager you don't get 3% better performance from a 0.294" bore vs the 0.338" bore in a brake.

Both calibers I own right now are 6.5, and both the brakes I have are 30 cal for the reasons above. They work great (for their respective designs), and better yet, they will work for any future calibers I make. In contrast, my only suppressor is made for 6.5mm, and now I regret that more than I regret being a Minnesota Vikings fan.

You won't feel the difference. I have a .338 brake/suppressor adapter on one of my 6.5s and it works great. Have run .30 on 6.5 and 6mm and even a .223 match rifle. Can't feel a difference between them and caliber specific. Just get a good brake.

That's a good option. The APA Fat Bastard Gen 3 would be another good option. Has top ports to keep the rifle more level.

We've ran these in 338 flavor from 338 lapua Ai all the way down to 223. No perceivable difference in recoil reduction when stepping down in cartridge size - stay with the self-timer and you'll have a versatile brake for years to come.

All my brakes and suppressors too are 30 cal, work great down to the 22 bore and I cannot tell the difference between them and caliber specific brakes so I sold all my sub 30 cal brakes and suppressor adaptor brakes.

Just giving an update, I appreciate all the advice. I ended up going with an Area 419 Sidewinder for the 300 PRC and used it on my comp rifle in 6.5 creed. Shot my first competition with it and it worked great. Thanks again for the help.
Screenshot_20220827-121827_Snapchat.jpg
Snapchat-74035182.jpg