Muscle break, VIAS break, OR ?

I replaced the stock muzzle brake on my 338-378 with a Muscle Brake and I love it. You can tell that the gasses are coming out the side but you don't really feel them. I don't think that the noise is as bad as the factory brake.

Gus

Vias... not good for prone but great for hunting. Not very loud, cool looking and very effective at felt recoil reduction

I realize we are reviving an 8month old thread but my experience had prompted me to chime in.

Radial brakes are NOT where it's at for hunting, the vast majority of LR shots, hunting or otherwise are taken from the prone position. Radial ports blow crap everywhere & I mean EVERYWHERE. My partner has a Vias styled brake on a 300RUM.... poor rifle looks like it had been stored in the back of a gravel truck every time he goes to the range & that's not including what he's wearin' :D

We could also discuss the ports in the front of the brake, those cannot be condusive to accuracy. I really don't think additional forces on the base of the bullet as it transitions from barrel to atmosphere is even a decent idea; too many x-factors there.

The side discharge brakes don't blow crap all over the shooter & his rifle, don't add disturbance to the bullet as it transitions to the atmosphere & usually incorporate angled ports to increase effectiveness.

For this debate, Muscle Brake all the way.

t

I purchased a muscle brake for my 6.5x284 build. I have yet to see it, however, I really like the design! I have a radial brake on my 300 RUM, and like Outlaws friend, I have had my far share of blowback of snow and hay. This will be my first side discharge brake and I look forward to seeing it when my rifles completed.

Someone needs to do an unbiased experiment using all the popular breaks and see how they do. I vote for someone with a few different long range rigs. Here are some of the breaks

Muscle
Aps (kirbys)
Assasin (je custom)
Shawn Carlocks
Vais

Any others?

Who wants to do it?

Wish I could. . I could maybe supply one of them. But I don't currently own one. Maybe this is something that could be done at a shoot?

Wish I could. . I could maybe supply one of them. But I don't currently own one. Maybe this is something that could be done at a shoot?

It would be hard to do actually. Brakes would need to be fitted and timed to the barrel. Machining of each brake could cost almost as much as the brake itself.

Jeff

Someone needs to do an unbiased experiment using all the popular breaks and see how they do. I vote for someone with a few different long range rigs. Here are some of the breaks

Muscle
Aps (kirbys)
Assasin (je custom)
Shawn Carlocks
Vais

Any others?

Who wants to do it?

I'd put the PWS PRC on that list also.

I took the Vais that I had on my 300WM off and put on the PRC and it was like shooting with a pillow on my shoulder. Muzzle reaction and stability was notably increased and using the H37 reticle I was able to observe round flight and impact at 850m without any problems. From the prone I was able to maintain point of aim thru a rapid fire sequence of a 4 round mag using HSM 220gr HPBT Match (Mk248Mod1). There was zero ground blast and my wife reports there was a marked reduction in noise also. I'm pleased with it, think I'll keep it.

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts