30-378 weatherby powder recommendation

I have tried several different powders in my 30/378 with the 200 gr Nosler Part. H-870 being the best getting in the 3250 ft/sec range with good accuracy. Also tried H-5010 which got me 3285 ft/sec but not good accuracy. Rl-33 got me 3160 ft/sec with good accuracy. I also used Norma 217 with the 210 Berger. Got good accuracy but did not chrono for velocity. With the 180 class bullets I usedRL-33 with the Barnes 175 LRX and got good accuracy with 3400 ft/sec. I also used H-1000 with both bullets mentioned and got decent accuracy but was not satisfied with the velocity. I might add that at any time that I used a primer other than the Fed 215 I would get weird results, like pressure spikes and short duration hang fires. JME

Does anyone have a recommendation for powder for 205 elite hunters
A lot of great info here. I load for nearly a dozen of these including two of my own. H1000 has been the clear winner with a pet load of 102.5gr and OAL of 3.730 to 3.770 with the 181 Hammer Hunters ranging from 3200 to just over 3300fps. Obviously do your own ladder test. I've yet to have one not achieve 1/2 MOA or better. You can push them harder, but brass life with this load is exceptional. Just got home from CO and was well prepared for an extended range shot and shot this one at 40 yds traveling through a transition zone.

Attachments

• 6F09C908-F95C-46B2-80A2-537523F03FB1.png
    6F09C908-F95C-46B2-80A2-537523F03FB1.png
    584.2 KB · Views: 51
  • AD5B1AD1-5E8C-40AF-AD4E-C45A07608446.png
    AD5B1AD1-5E8C-40AF-AD4E-C45A07608446.png
    630.9 KB · Views: 45
A lot of great info here. I load for nearly a dozen of these including two of my own. H1000 has been the clear winner with a pet load of 102.5gr and OAL of 3.730 to 3.770 with the 181 Hammer Hunters ranging from 3200 to just over 3300fps. Obviously do your own ladder test. I've yet to have one not achieve 1/2 MOA or better. You can push them harder, but brass life with this load is exceptional. Just got home from CO and was well prepared for an extended range shot and shot this one at 40 yds traveling through a transition zone. 19 mule deer in 23 years and by far the largest body deer I've shot. Quarter facing, entered in the front right shoulder and excited out of his left hip breaking the femur.

Man, this is a friends rifle and he paid a fair amount for load work up from a local guy. It was retumbo with the 210 noslers. They couldn't get it to group so I said I'd give it a try. They used new nosler and Hornady brass. I was measuring the headspace. Good grief. The nosler was pretty close but the Hornady was 10-11 thousands short of the new nosler once fired and that's what they settled on. And he bought additional Hornady brass. Even the once fired Hornady is still short. I shot a few last weekend and barely inside a 4" circle at 200. The guy tried to tell him they don't start to stabilize till about 500. I'm not going to say anything but man, who does that!!
So prove it with the supplied 500 yard groups if that's really true, right?!?!? I understand there's some small merit to the "going to sleep" theory of external ballistics…never heard 500 yards as the distance quoted. Sounds like a bunch of hogwash!!!

A lot of great info here. I load for nearly a dozen of these including two of my own. H1000 has been the clear winner with a pet load of 102.5gr and OAL of 3.730 to 3.770 with the 181 Hammer Hunters ranging from 3200 to just over 3300fps. Obviously do your own ladder test. I've yet to have one not achieve 1/2 MOA or better. You can push them harder, but brass life with this load is exceptional. Just got home from CO and was well prepared for an extended range shot and shot this one at 40 yds traveling through a transition zone.
Man, that thing looks huge! I've mentioned the hammers to him and will probably be a future development. Did you use the g7 to calculate drops and windage? Thanks for sharing the load info

So prove it with the supplied 500 yard groups if that's really true, right?!?!? I understand there's some small merit to the "going to sleep" theory of external ballistics…never heard 500 yards as the distance quoted. Sounds like a bunch of hogwash!!!
Ya, I'm not going to bad mouth, just going to fix it but man… Oh well, on another note, the few shots that I made were very clear that weatherby makes a dam fine rifle. Really excited to get it shooting good and get it dialed and shooting good to 1000. Can't believe people charge to do this lol

Ya, I'm not going to bad mouth, just going to fix it but man… Oh well, on another note, the few shots that I made were very clear that weatherby makes a dam fine rifle. Really excited to get it shooting good and get it dialed and shooting good to 1000. Can't believe people charge to do this lol
I honestly think I enjoy handloading more than actual shooting!

Man, that thing looks huge! I've mentioned the hammers to him and will probably be a future development. Did you use the g7 to calculate drops and windage? Thanks for sharing the load info
Yes on the G7 but always verify. One thing I've found with Hammers is that the BC will vary in every barrel.