30-378 Rifle Rebuild

rodneymoncrief

Wanting you guys opinion on who should I have to rebuild a Remington action chambered in 30-378 Wby. I want to use this rifle for a long range sheep, its is now chambered in 30-378 Wby and I would like to stick with this caliber because I have everything to hand load for this chambering. It is 9.5 lb with scope right now and is just to lightweight to shoot accurately because of recoil. I want to keep it between 10-11 lbs. because like I said earlier I want to be a sheep rifle and also want it to shoot .25-.5 MOA groups, will have a muzzle brake to help with recoil. Any suggestions you guys have would be helpful.

Thanks

I have personal experience with Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles and Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing. They both have websites and I can highly recommend them both based on their top notch work and character. There are several other gunsmiths who frequent this site and some are site sponsors. I think you will get multiple suggestions, pretty much all of which will involve shipping your rifle to a gunsmith in another state but based on my experience it is well worth the cost of shipping.

Do you have a break on your current 30-378??... Sheep Rifles are usually kept as lite as they can be made. Sheep country is usually nasty and even the savings of ounces will help. A break will tame the 30-378. The Weatherby Accumark Break works well on them...Dave

Yes my current barrell has a muzzle brake on it, but it is only .65 inches at the muzzle so it has a lot of barrell jump. It will have you flinching after a few shots. I was thinking of rebarreling with one that is .75 inches at the muzzle with slighty larger stock trying to keep scoped rifle weight at around 10-10.5 lbs. It currently weighs 9.25 lbs with scope.

Out of curiosity, what kind of muzzle brake do you currently have on your rifle? I wonder if a different style brake might be more effective/efficient? Not trying to change your mind out of a new build... have you thought about what brake you will use on the new barrel?

I have an extra break for a 30-378 Accumark if you want to give it a try before spending the money on a barrel and a stock... I don't know what threads you have but these are a Radial Brake and don't need timed..These breaks in my opinion are very effective on the 30-378. Making a rifle intended for sheep hunting 2-3lbs heavier might just ruin a high dollar hunt. Allot of Sheep Country is crazy steep and dangerous. Sheep hunters spend huge amounts making their rifles as lite as they can be made...I think a good break might get you where you want.. Measure your threads if you want to try this Accumark break.. Dave

I really like this rifle as a carry rifle, but it is tough to shoot from a bipod with rear bag. If you don't hold the front down it will hit your nose and fore head. Open to suggestions on field shooting positions for 500-600 yard shots, trying to shoot prone but almost impossible because of barrell jump. I do agree with you guys that a few extra ounces will add up on a long mountain stalk. I can shoot it pretty well out to 300 yards off of shooting sticks but that is about my limit. Like I said earlier I'm open to suggestions as far as shooting rest and positions out past 300 yards.

You could keep it light and install a Holland Style break. They are a little bulbous and unsightly but make sure it has the large gill like side ports and smaller round ports on top as well; but no bottom ports. Top ports will keep the muzzle jump down. Lack of bottom ports will let you shoot prone without covering yourself in dirt and dust. This style of break really calmed down my XCR 7.5 lb 375 Rum. The Holland Style break I had installed on this 375 was made by Ross Schuler. VERY AFFORDABLE. Looks like he is still in the break making business. Google Ross Schuler Muzzle Brakes. I had a local smith install.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.