Rifle Rebuild, Which Caliber???

JHansen

I have a Remington model 700 XCR in .300 Ultra mag. and it's almist time for a new barrel. I am just having a hard time decicing whether to stick with the .300 ultra, build a .338 ultra, or go to something like a .338-.300 Ultra Just looking for opinions and reasons for the change if that is your opinion.

My other question while I am here is which barrel manufacturer/barrel would you guys suggest? Thanks.gun)

Here goes my opinion , I just rebarreled my 300rum with a broughton heavy contour barrel if I had it to do all over again I would go to a .338 edge . Right now I'm shooting 210 grain bergers my best 200 yrd group is .318 that's 3 shots as far as I'm concerned you want be at a disadvantage with a broughton rifle barrel just one talk on the phone with tim is all it will take, he's really a nice person and always answers my questions.

BIGBUCK

After cooking two 300 RUM barrels, I have moved on the the 338 Edge. I only have 120 rounds down the bore but I can tell you I am ultra impressed with the ease of tuning loads and how well the barrel and throat are holding up. The ballistics are also staggering. I honestly dont know how it gets any better than the 338 Edge for a true long range rig. Everybody always talked about how accurate their edge is and how their extreeme velocity spreads are in the single digits etc.......Yeah I thought, I have heard all the hype before and always ended up dissapointed. After playing with it for a while, I am a believer. I have been searching for the ultimate 1000 yard hunting rifle for quite some time. I believe that this is it. The 300 is awesome it is just too hard on throats and bores IMHO.

338 Gaillard

I shoot the 338 Gaillard. Mine is a 26 inch Magnum Contour Ted Gaillard barrel on an AIII Sako action in a McMillan Hunter stock topped off with a 4.5x14x40mm 30mm LR Leupold scope with a B&C reticle. The scope is mounted with Talley rings! My pet load for mine is as follows:

8mm Rem Mag case that has been fire formed!
CCI 250 Primer (all I had at the time, I now have some F215M to play with)!
250gr HPBT Sierra
89.5gr RL25
3050-3070 FPS

This is my 338 Gaillard barreled action sitting in a custom Screwbean Mesquite stock I have. It is very pretty, nice to hang on the wall to show off. I have a Fiberglass stock I hunt with. :D

338gaillard.com

Gaillard

_JAY4000.jpg

_JAY4001.jpg

_JAY4005.jpg

_JAY3998.jpg

_JAY3718.jpg

The top left target was some 416 Rem Mag brass I was fireforming with 225 Hornady Interlocks. 85gr IMR 7828 & CCI 250 primers. 2967 FPS (Low), 2995 FPS (High). I also notice that that target should have been rotated 90 degrees CCW as that is how it was at the range.

The top right target was the last 3 rounds left from my 1st 338 Gaillard that I had. They were loaded with 250 Sierra HPBT, 340 Fire Formed Norma cases 89.5gr RL25 and CCI 250 primers.
2887FPS (Low), 2959FPS (High).

The lower left target is a 5 shot group of Barnes 225gr XXX. These were Fire Formed 8mm Rem Mag cases with 86gr IMR 7828 and CCI 250 primers. 3054 (Low), 3077 (High).

The lower right target was an experiment. 200gr Nosler Ballistic tips with Fire Formed 8mm Rem Mag cases with 88gr RL22 and CCI 250 primers. Nosler does not make a ballistic tip in 200gr anymore, only the Accubond. I figured I'd try these before I used my Accubonds. I must say I was impressed!
3249FPS (Low), 3271FPS (High).

definatley the .338 edge. I have a .338 RUM in the XCR that will be an edge when the barrel goes. It makes even more sense for you because you have 300 Rum brass kickin around from your stock barrel. slap a DM in a fibergalss stock and put a nice barrel on it in .338 edge and you will have your new favorite gun. Cant go wrong with the .338 RUM either if you are concerned with factory rounds.

338 ultramag or 338-300 ultramag. Your barrels will last way longer and a lot more whack on the business end of the bullet.

That 338 Galliard looks like a lot of trouble to get a 340 wby. Sounds like a 340 wby without the radius shoulder. The velocities you posted are identical to the 340 wby with the 250 grain. My 340 wby gets 3300 fps out of the 215 gameking.

I was wondering how many rounds it takes, as a rule to burn out a 300 rum?
Thanks....Pat

There are a bunch of variables on that, but average is 800-1000 rnds. This can increase with lesser powder charges and slower velocities, but then you are defeating the purpose of the rifle. You may gain a little more barrel life using heavier bullets.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.