30-338 LAPUA

Mr Bill,
While it is possible I prefer to do it in two steps. I have a 30/338 Lapua Imp and I neck it down with a custom bushing FL sizing die. First I neck it down from .368" to .350" then to .335". I think it's easier on the brass but maybe some other people might have something else to add.
Wayne

Mr. Bill,
I run the 338 brass for my 30-338 Lapua Imp into the FL bushing die with a .334" bushing, one step.

2 steps may be better, but I fire form mine with cream of wheat after this, but before I neck tuning to fit anyway.

I have a reamer print for the 300 Gonzo also, which I believe is Mike's design. It's shorter than mine and Wayne's full length versions though. No contact # for him tho. Good luck.

I HAVE A COUPLE OF QESTIONS I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH, FIRST CAN THE 338 LAPUA BRASS BE NECKED DOWN WITH A CUSTOM 30-338 LAPUA DIE, I MEAN IS IT OKAY TO GO FROM 38 TO 30CAL WITH A SIZING DIE? SECOND DOES ANYONE HAVE CONTACT INFO FOR M.PALAZZO?
THANKS MR BILL

thanks to you gent's for the information. i havn't burned any powder in it yet,waiting for spring.

Wayne and Brent,

Do you have to anneal the necks first? I have a bunch of 338-378 brass coming and will be necking it down to 30-378. Will the standard full length sizing die work for this operation? If it will work I thought that once it pulls back over the sizer button I could then go ahead and outside neck turn?
One more question can you describe the process of cream of wheat forming in a little more detail? Powder/amount wad etc.
Case capacities are similar so I'm thinking what works for you would work for me.... Thanks, I have never done this before.
HPA

HPA,
I don't anneal my necks and don't think it's necessary when your using new brass.
You should be able to neck them down with the sizing die but you should use a carbide cutter mandle to get rid of the donut that will be formed from necking down the case.
Brent will have to fill you in on the Cream of Wheat method of fireforming as I haven't used that method. Your 30/378 will hold approx. 12-14 more grains than my 30/338 Lapua Imp will as it is almost .200" longer.
Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.