30-338 Improved (Need Advice)

SHRTSHTR

I am planning another build and would like some opinions before I purchace all the components. This rifle will be built by me.

I have a new 30" Lilja barrel, #8 Contour, .30 caliber.
Reamer, gauges and guide pins. All from PT&G
Seekins Bottom Metal (3.990)

I would like this rifle to be a little lighter than my 338 LAI. The 338 weighs in about 16.5 lbs. I really like the looks of the Manners tactical stock with thumbhole. McMillan has a hunting stock with adjustable cheek piece that is a very nice stock.

Ideally this rifle would come in about 13-14 lbs with NF 8-32X56 NXS. Not sure if this is possible with a #8 contour barrel.

As far as actions go, I like Defiance actions. I have a Stiller TAC-338 but think there are better actions out there. Really thinking I only need a single shot. I would save a little weight not having bottom metal. This rifle would be strictly long range.

Not really stuck on the 30-338 LAI either. The 30-378 sounds impressive as well.

Would really like to hear what you guys think the best components to be used for this build. Thanks for looking.

I would use your tac 338 action i had a 338 lapua built on one and it was great,the stock you are talking about is the Mcmillan htg/adj,you might want to consider a different barrel profile because a 30" #8 lilja is gonna weigh a lot.Good luck with the project.

I would opt for the Lapua round over the Wby round solely for the difference in brass quality. Almost all reports on the Wby/Norma brass is that it is soft and primer pockets tend to loosen up relatively fast. Both are fairly expensive, so from a "broke redneck's" point of view the Lapua would make more sense.

Well I know this is an older post but J300UM for the record some weatherby ammo is loaded to 75k psi factory and shows no signs of pressure except to your shoulder! I use lapua brass and bullets for certain things but I have absolutely nothing against norma brass, see how long a lapua case will hold up to 75-80k psi!

Weatherby factory ammo is usually very hot and in their guns, or ones like it, built with Weatherby frreebore you will be ok but I would not want to shoot Weatherby factory ammo in a rifle that did not have Weatherby freebore.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.