30-06 question

As for the OP, if your rifle is a 1-10 which it most likely is, you will be fine running any bullet from light to heavy. In fact it will be perfect for any bullet that would be considered for long range work.

Never let anybody tell you a 22 or 24in 1-10 twist 30-06 is "unorthodox" that's the funniest thing I have heard for a while..

What do you consider long range work?
Cheer's

What do you consider long range work?
Cheer's

How about a 200grn smk running at 2600fps or a 215 berger at close to the same speed or even a 178gr Amax at 2800fps all out of a 24in 1-10 twist 30-06 all hold 1moa or better at 1003 yards. I forgot about the 208 Amax running 2500fps. What do you consider long range work? Google that answer and get back to me..

Dang it, I guess my 28" Kreiger 1 in 10 30/378 barrel has got to go. Just when it shoots sub 1/2 MOA to way out there. Wait till I get my hands on that smith that talked me into it and the miss print on Bergers' site suggesting 1 in 10 for the 230 gr .30 cal bullet.

Dang it, I guess my 28" Kreiger 1 in 10 30/378 barrel has got to go. Just when it shoots sub 1/2 MOA to way out there. Wait till I get my hands on that smith that talked me into it and the miss print on Bergers' site suggesting 1 in 10 for the 230 gr .30 cal bullet.
We better tell every rifle and barrel manufacturer that they are 109 years behind the times, and the 1-10 twist is not optimal for .30cal rifles shooting today's popular bullet choices..

I'm not sure I would agree that the 1/11 is "much better" than 1/10 for a long range 30-06. I'd say you are splitting some very fine hairs.

With bullets like the 208 Amax, 210 Berger, 215 Berger, 225 Hornady 220gr Sierra/Nosler and similar, the 1/10 is about perfect. Not only for stability to the target, but also for reducing the odds of the bullet tumbling in the target.

I'm shooting a 22.5" 1/10 twist #7 contour on my heavy 30-06. 208 Amax at 2720 fps, 225 Hdy at 2600 fps. Both fly well, way past 1000 yards. The rifle also does very well with the lighter stuff, including 110gr VMax, and 155gr Scenar, among others.

The only time I might consider a different twist for a .30 cal rifle it would be if I was shooting a 230 berger or a 240 smk then I would run a 1-9 but I think a 1-10 would get it done with the 230..

I've shot the 240gr Sierra out of my 1/10 twist 30-06. 2610 fps, very accurate to 1000+.

But I sure don't think 1/9 would hurt if the 230+ gr stuff was primary on the menu.

I agree,
I always thought a 30-378 weatherby 1-9 28-30in. Shooting 240smk Would be a absolute beast way out there..

The only time I might consider a different twist for a .30 cal rifle it would be if I was shooting a 230 berger or a 240 smk then I would run a 1-9 but I think a 1-10 would get it done with the 230..

Far enough.. Now go back to the original inquiry .. and that he's using an off the rack Rem 700 in 30 06 Now is this a "long range" rifle set up in your opinion?.. box ready to take to the 1k range.. Don't forget barrel length and a couple other factor were included in the reply.. Perhaps your another G D Tubb and take an off the rack to the range and win with a minor turn up..
If I'm not mistake the writer was asking about options. I don't think he's going to get 1MOA at 1003 yards.. by the way what is your barrel length, perhaps I missed it.

Not take it wrong as I said, however if I was going to use a 10 to 13 lbs rifle for hunting and 1k work I think I work with a 1-11 twist near 190gr "game" bullet for the over all combo..

By the way the comment unorthodox was referring to using his out of the box rifle as his hunting and LR work rifle.:D

Just my .02
Cheer's

If you read my posts and others we posted barrel lengths. Mine currently is 24in but would not hesitate to use a 22in, and if the op has a factory rifle and wants to learn long range I say go for it !!
I do it every time I go to the range...

Hmmmm.... If you take a look at the article I posted earlier.... and then read 436s reply.... you'll find that he basically copied and pasted his entire lengthy response from that article....

gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:D

I honestly believe that the rifleman journal article is probable spot on... but he does say that this is for match shooting and 210 would be as heavy as he'd go for bullet weight with a 1-11 barrel. However.... 436, you might want to reference the article, as opposed to just pasting it in and having people consider it was coming from you as an original thought.

Hmmmm.... If you take a look at the article I posted earlier.... and then read 436s reply.... you'll find that he basically copied and pasted his entire lengthy response from that article....

gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:D

I honestly believe that the rifleman journal article is probable spot on... but he does say that this is for match shooting and 210 would be as heavy as he'd go for bullet weight with a 1-11 barrel. However.... 436, you might want to reference the article, as opposed to just pasting it in and having people consider it was coming from you as an original thought.

When I read 436 post I laughed and thought about German, then I told him to Google his next answer..

Hey Cowboy, use the search up in the right hand corner and type rifle twist and stability. You will see a 1-10 is fine for a .30 cal

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.