30-06 improved ??

Tested speeds today. Deep cleaned the barrel so I threw out 3 shots, let cool and shot a 3 shot group at 300. 2.6" group, so I'll play with seating depth next. Very happy with speeds
F511B885-CE4A-4384-84BF-70BC8269F554.jpeg

66194C42-E700-45E0-8D78-CBEA3FDD2EEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Really good vel. 7 SUB moa, IMPRESSIVE!
Thank you. Not impressive accuracy yet. Still have to test seating depth. Happy it is finally showing promise though with very good speeds. I was hoping for 2800 with the 208s. Have to thank my old timer friend at the range. As I was putting the rifle in the trash barrel, he said "have you tried 208s with r26?"

Thank you. Not impressive accuracy yet. Still have to test seating depth. Happy it is finally showing promise though with very good speeds. I was hoping for 2800 with the 208s. Have to thank my old timer friend at the range. As I was putting the rifle in the trash barrel, he said "have you tried 208s with r26?"
Yeah I was curious about RL26 with the 208gr ELDM's or Berger 215gr in a 30-06 AI and 26" barrel. I figured 2850 fps was doable depending on the barrel. Looks like you have a fast barrel at 2900 fps, very cool. Just to confirm this is a 30-06 AI correct?

Yeah I was curious about RL26 with the 208gr ELDM's or Berger 215gr in a 30-06 AI and 26" barrel. I figured 2850 fps was doable depending on the barrel. Looks like you have a fast barrel at 2900 fps, very cool. Just to confirm this is a 30-06 AI correct?
Normal 30-06. Never switched. I'll start a different thread on the build (30-06) including load data. It seems to be a win-win for any 30-06 person

Last edited:
Normal 30-06. Never switched. I'll start a different thread on the build (30-06) including load data. It seems to be a win-win for any 30-06 person
Wow that is a serious game changer for me. I have a JC Higgins Mauser that I've been agonizing what to do with. Only problem is I could only seat out to 3.390", possibly more with a different mag box and some ramp work. What barrel did you screw on there?

Wow that is a serious game changer for me. I have a JC Higgins Mauser that I've been agonizing what to do with. Only problem is I could only seat out to 3.390", possibly more with a different mag box and some ramp work. What barrel did you screw on there?
Wilson Arms. People think they are low quality, but they shoot great in my experience

Good to see. For sometime, I have been telling people that with modern powders and bullets the old '06 cartridge is very capable at LRH, and with a properly lengthened throat, you can take advantage of the extra powder capacity similar to a 30-06AI with a shorter throat.

Good to see. For sometime, I have been telling people that with modern powders and bullets the old '06 cartridge is very capable at LRH, and with a properly lengthened throat, you can take advantage of the extra powder capacity similar to a 30-06AI with a shorter throat.
I agree, there's even an old thread on here where a member used a 28" barrel, IMR4350, and a 208gr AMAX and got 2850 fps. I need to decide whether to continue with my Mauser and a 3.400" mag box or got to a Rem 700 with it's longer box. I could even go to a Howa and do some work on the bolt stop to increase seating bullets out. I hate to ditch the Mauser but it makes more sense to use a different action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.