2nd LR caliber?

emmagator

I currently have a built Tikka 270wsm shooting 165gr bullets. This is my go to lr rifle for any animal i hunt. It covers all my lr hunting situation in my opinion. However, i would like to build another lr from my sa savage.

Needs to work in sa mag fed. Not interested in a light varmint round or real heavy hitters. Looking at a .260 or 6.5x47. I would like something that does what my 270wsm doesn't, but I'm finding that hard to do. I want a purpose built caliber, hunting performance is the number one goal, elk, deer, antelope. Suggestions?

You will probably have to open up the bolt face, but a 6.5 SS would be a great option.

6.5 Grendel if you can find a .223 bolt, and have the face opened up to .439" then that's the only special work that will need to be done.

I think your choice depends on how often you hunt elk, versus the other little stuff.

270 is a decent elk bullet, but not always everyone's first choice. Not looking for flames here about the 270 as an elk gun, but just saying. A 7mm offering would be a little sweeter. I built a 7mm RSAUM on my Savage SA. Very pleased...

On the other hand, if elk is seldom on your menu and deer, antelope are common, how about a 6mm offering? That's where I am at currently, at least in my thinking and research. A fast 6mm with some of the long heavy 6mm bullets will still recoil less than the 260 or swede, or perhaps about the same, but the bullet is faster. Built right, accuracy should be the same....

Of course, the 6mm is no elk gun. But you intend to keep the Tikka in 270, right?

It's so hard to beat the the 270 WSM and 165 Matrix combo for over all, I'm playing the the 6.5's but really there is not one made that will take elk out like what your doing with the 270, the 160 Matrix maybe but that remains to be seen.
Your 270 will run with or over any 7mm and the 30 cals start getting interesting with a little more magnum size cartridges.

Personally for long range I've gone up to the 338's to see a significant upgrade in long range performance but where your not wanting to be on that road maybe a serious look at the 6mm's.

A 105 and especially a 115 Berger will put down elk with ease, they are spectacular on deer and goats, the ballistics are there for long range shooting as well. Something like a 6x47 Lapua or 243 would be kind of a small LR assassin kind of rig and it would be different than what your rockn now!

Well I'm leaning towards the 6.5x47L. I like that quality brass, bullets and dies are all readily available. No case forming, etc... Plus should work smoothly in a short action dbm with long bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.