284 Win realistic hunting ranges

Ksmirk

Afternoon fella's, I've spent some time searching and can't really find the answer I'm looking for so just thought I'd ask... sorry for the bother.

Looking at building another 284 Win since my last one found a new home before I really got to play with it and find myself with a Winchester 670 in 30-06 and not knocking the 06 I'm just a 7mm fan. My reamer was ground where a 162 A Max is .020 of the lands at 3.100" COL and was getting a touch over 3K in the other rifle with Hybrid100V BUT my biggest question is HOW far would you consider too far for the 162's or 180's on say Oklahoma Whitetail deer? I had the other rifle out to 775 on steel and it was hitting pretty dang hard! but would like to get your opinions.

Next I need to figure out a barrel contour that's light enough but can still shoot a 5 shot group without getting too hot, the other rifle I went too light a barrel and while 2 shots would stack then the 3rd would take off on it's own about an inch away from the others.

Thanks fella's have a great day! Later,

Kirk

Check the ballistics of the bullet you want to use -say the manufacturer says it will perform down to 1600 fps at what range does the 284 set up of your choice drop below that velocity.
Then you'll have to work with the rifle to see what you and the rifle can do in the field under hunting conditions.

I'm a #4 barrel kind of guy -not too light not too heavy.
Great old cartridge the 284win..

Thanks ol mike! I'm not new to LR but really just looking for what folks in the real world are coming up with and it said it's been awhile since I posted :)

Right now I trust myself out to 500 with my 308 and have taken a few over 475 but yet to break that 500... they passed on the wrong side of the fence so 493, I've shot out to 1K but on game I'm not ready to push it as I'd rather be sure than have a good idea.

I was thinking the light palma cut to 26" but will take a look at the #4 and yeah funny story on the 284, was going to build a 280 Rem but found the 284 reamer and it still had wax on the flutes so just HAD to use it :)

I'll take a look and see what the A Max and Bergers do below 1600 and go from there, thanks for the reply I appreciate it! Later,

Kirk

I hunt with a 284. With 180 Berger Hybrids dear is dead out to 1000. Mine loves 56.5 gr of H4831ssc and ccibr2 primers. I seat .015" off. Barrel is a 9 twist bartlein. The reamer used requires neck turning.

I havnt shot anything with my 284 yet but with a good ranging I would be perfectly comfortable taking big game to about 1000 yards or so. Like was said before I would check your velocity at the range you expect to shoot and make sure it's high enough to make the bullet funtion properly. If it's fast enough to open the. It will have enough energy to be lethal. I'm getting 2855 out of a 32" pac-nor.

Kyle

You asked if anyone hunts with the 284 win. Years ago it was my only rifle. I took a half dozen elk and at least a dozen deer with it. I haven't used it in recent year but it was rebarreled recently and it may be THE rifle for this year's upcoming coues wt hunt.

After 4 barrels in 25 yrs I decided that it was time to get a reamer to my specs. It requires turning the Winchester brass, chamber neck is . 315 I am very pleased with the results with the reamer in my 7 lb sporter. I now do my own chambering. Used a 24" Rem 7-08 takeoff on my tang safety Ruger which is in a McMillan ultralight stock. It is shooting the 168 hunting VLDs with bullets into the lands .015". The 168's velocity is 2835 fps. I could probably get a bit more velocity but am very happy with the results. I would shoot this package out to 600 yds without hesitation on our deer. I have shot it out to 547 yds (500M) and it is very accurate.

I wish you success with your endeavor. Share your results when things get finalized.

I built a 284 years ago and it was a hammer on steel out to 775 or as far as I had a chance to shoot it out to with the 162 AMax, built on a Mauser M48A action. Most of the deer I shot with that rifle well they died BUT **** it would really mess the meat up but I'm going to blame that on the bullet :) The load in my rifle which was safe and had no pressure signs from a 26" tube would push the 162 AMax at 3011fps so without running the numbers I feel the 600 yards on deer sized game should be a non issue as long as the nut driving the rifle does his part.

Pretty sure once this 243 is completed I will be ordering out a .284 1-8 twist light Palma barrel to replace the crappy shooting 30-06 barrel the Winchester wears now and finish at 26" trick seems to be to find a stock for a Winchester 670... plenty for the Mod 70 but I don't want the bottom metal as this is going to be mainly a hunting rifle and maybe some long range steel ringing so no need for the bottom metal in my mind. Thinking a Bell and Carleson M40 style stock would be a good budget stock just have to find one without the bottom metal option.

Fella's thanks for the comments and opinions I appreciate them and yes I'll post up some pics when it gets completed :) Later,

Kirk

I put a Hart Magnum contour on a 270 Win and it was perfect. Just heavy enough and would not drift with shots, but still light enough to carry. It's slightly heavier than a #4 I think.

I built a 284 years ago and it was a hammer on steel out to 775 or as far as I had a chance to shoot it out to with the 162 AMax, built on a Mauser M48A action. Most of the deer I shot with that rifle well they died BUT **** it would really mess the meat up but I'm going to blame that on the bullet :) The load in my rifle which was safe and had no pressure signs from a 26" tube would push the 162 AMax at 3011fps so without running the numbers I feel the 600 yards on deer sized game should be a non issue as long as the nut driving the rifle does his part.

Pretty sure once this 243 is completed I will be ordering out a .284 1-8 twist light Palma barrel to replace the crappy shooting 30-06 barrel the Winchester wears now and finish at 26" trick seems to be to find a stock for a Winchester 670... plenty for the Mod 70 but I don't want the bottom metal as this is going to be mainly a hunting rifle and maybe some long range steel ringing so no need for the bottom metal in my mind. Thinking a Bell and Carleson M40 style stock would be a good budget stock just have to find one without the bottom metal option.

Fella's thanks for the comments and opinions I appreciate them and yes I'll post up some pics when it gets completed :) Later,

Kirk
Kirk I just bought a Shilen barrel 26" #7 contour (Heavy varmint) drop-in barrel for my Savage action. I also got a M40 stock to put it in with PTG bottom metal. Still waiting on the barrel and bottom metal to show up. Really looking forward to what this combo will do. Got some RL 17 and 162gr Amaxs to try in this bad girl when she put together

srhaggerty, I'm about to send my stock off to Jeff so he can inlet it for the CDI bottom metal, I've been talking back and forth with him and he seems like a good dude. I've been researching about barrel countors and while the nod still seems to go toward the light palma but looking at the #4 as well and it's difficult as they are really close so don't think I'd go wrong either way just want to be sure and not build too heavy of a rifle on this one, I've carried #13-#15 rifles hunting before and it's a pain. I got a Bartlien for the 243 and have used Mcgowen for most of my other rifles so well will see how this 6mm barrel works as it's a 5R cut rifling which I've heard very good things about them.

Be sure and post up a photo of your rifle it would be nice to see and good luck! Later,

Kirk

My dad loves the .284 and I've been thinking about building one myself. Awesome cartridge with a bit of nostalgia for me. The ballistics are pretty much a 7mm Mag minus 150 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer out to 800 or beyond with the right bullet.

The .284 suffers from the same handicap as the WSM: The heavier bullets eat up a bunch of case volume due to the short OAL. If you use a long action with the .284 and seat the bullets out further you could gain a bunch of velocity. But then if you go long action you could just build a 280 AI or 7 mag and gain even more.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.